SOS save my SCOLY!

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ultra bleeding apple scoly has been looking I'll for about a week. All my other corals are healthy, my other scoly is healthy, my nitrates are only 15ppm and I do a weekly 10% water change with reef crystals, so I don't know what the issue is.

Here are some tank specs:
40 gallon breeder
Tidal 55 hob filter
1 528gph power head
Nicrew saltwater LED light (10000k, 120par at 12inches)
60lbs live rock, 60 lbs live sand

Current Stocking:
Longnose hawk fish
2 clarkii clowns
Tiger sand conch
Pincushion urchin
Brittle star
Hermits and snails

My only guess is there's not enough flow at the bottom of the tank, so I'm going to add another power head. Any thoughts? This is the ONLY coral that isn't doing well.

IMG_20210202_210418563.jpg this is today and the next picture was a week ago when it was doing okay.....
IMG_20210126_200018008.jpg

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a scoly, but I have an acanthophyllia that looks similar. You can see its skeleton when its not fluffy, but I think its normal.
Do you know what causes them to lose their fluff? I work at my lfs and we usually take it as the first warning sign that it's stressed.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what causes them to lose their fluff? I work at my lfs and we usually take it as the first warning sign that it's stressed.
For mine, its usually like that at night/lights out when most of my LPS are not fluffy. Then it's back to normal during the day. If its not fluffy for more than a few days, then maybe I'd be concerned. It hasn't gotten fluffy at all in a week?

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok couple things.

You're posting pictures under blues. People usually aren't going to inspectors gadget things to figure out what's wrong for you....make it easy.

Second, you don't test your parameters? Yea..I'm out

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For mine, its usually like that at night/lights out when most of my LPS are not fluffy. Then it's back to normal during the day. If its not fluffy for more than a few days, then maybe I'd be concerned. It hasn't gotten fluffy at all in a week?
Yeah it's looked completely deflated all week, day or night. I moved it to a different location in my tank to see if that helped but it didn't

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will “de-fluff” when stressed. Takes time for them to take in water and “puff” up. Mine does that when stressed, leave it be, watch for its feeders at night, keep water pristine.
I feed it once a week with reef roids and it still accepts the food

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok couple things.

You're posting pictures under blues. People usually aren't going to inspectors gadget things to figure out what's wrong for you....make it easy.

Second, you don't test your parameters? Yea..I'm out
I do test my parameters, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, I just don't test major elements like calcium, magnesium, etc. The reason I don't is because most of my corals are softies or lps, and I do a weekly 10% water change with reef crystals, so I replenish by elements pretty fast with the water changes.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do test my parameters, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, I just don't test major elements like calcium, magnesium, etc. The reason I don't is because most of my corals are softies or lps, and I do a weekly 10% water change with reef crystals, so I replenish by elements pretty fast with the water changes.

How do you know you replenish them if you don't test? There's more that takes up alk,cal,mag than coral.....

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know you replenish them if you don't test? There's more that takes up alk,cal,mag than coral.....
Because the reef crystals salt contains the proper levels of calcium, magnesium and alkalinity. I believe it's important to test water parameters, however in my specific situation im doing frequent water changes on a tank that doesn't have any acropora or other fast growing sps corals, so my corals have been doing fine without any dosing, just using the elements added to the tank with the water change every week. That being said, I will test my major elements like calcium, alk and magnesium occasionally to make sure everything is in order.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back