SOS save my SCOLY!

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that was alot to take in haha. I have the scoly on a drag plug so it's not fully on the sandbed.
i'd atleast test alk i pretty much was doing the same thing reef crystals mixes high one thing i did notice is my calc would never really drop too low but my alk would go from about 9 after water change to 7 or lower by the end of the week before i started dosing decent size alk swing from just the waterchange

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is lower alk. For LPS coral,Try and keep it around 9. Less than 7 you start getting tissue recession. To feed, turn off flow ,hand feed a 1/4in x1/4in piece of raw shrimp.couple hours after lights out or first thing in the morning.I buy a pound of frozen raw shrimp at Target for $5.99.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the trach (wells)

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_144326.jpg
    IMG_20200703_144326.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd atleast test alk i pretty much was doing the same thing reef crystals mixes high one thing i did notice is my calc would never really drop too low but my alk would go from about 9 after water change to 7 or lower by the end of the week before i started dosing decent size alk swing from just the waterchange
I'll start testing it

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I tested my parameters before and after a water change. I do a water change every Wednesday so this will be one weeks difference.

Before WC:
Kh - 7.8
Ca - 490
Mg - 1440
P04 - 0.25

After WC:
Kh - 8
Ca - 500+
Mg - 1470
P04 - 0.15

So calcium and phosphate are a little high, but nothing crazy so I'm gonna rule those out as being my issue because all my other corals r doing fine. I think flow might be the issue so I got another power head

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I tested my parameters before and after a water change. I do a water change every Wednesday so this will be one weeks difference.

Before WC:
Kh - 7.8
Ca - 490
Mg - 1440
P04 - 0.25

After WC:
Kh - 8
Ca - 500+
Mg - 1470
P04 - 0.15

So calcium and phosphate are a little high, but nothing crazy so I'm gonna rule those out as being my issue because all my other corals r doing fine. I think flow might be the issue so I got another power head
Also I'm not going to try to raise my alk with any additives, I'd rather just keep it stable at around 8. My calcium might be a little high because I have a crushed coral base layer substrate with sand on top.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I'm not going to try to raise my alk with any additives, I'd rather just keep it stable at around 8. My calcium might be a little high because I have a crushed coral base layer substrate with sand on top.

At this point check it every day at the same time for a week and see what your parameters do. My calcium runs high as well, even with my clam ever since switching to tropic Marin.

Things are still ok. Just has to be stable.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice start looking into dosing. Something like a kamoer + all for reef. Sooner or later you'll have to and you have a 40gallon which is perfect for something as simple as afr.

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice start looking into dosing. Something like a kamoer + all for reef. Sooner or later you'll have to and you have a 40gallon which is perfect for something as simple
I'll look into it but I'm going to try to stay away from dosing as long as i can.

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I noticed a crack on the bottom of the scoly, I'm thinking maybe a worm is breaking its skeleton apart?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the reef crystals salt contains the proper levels of calcium, magnesium and alkalinity. I believe it's important to test water parameters, however in my specific situation im doing frequent water changes on a tank that doesn't have any acropora or other fast growing sps corals, so my corals have been doing fine without any dosing, just using the elements added to the tank with the water change every week. That being said, I will test my major elements like calcium, alk and magnesium occasionally to make sure everything is in order.
I have only three <2-3" frags of SPS and I still need to dose to maintain alk.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scolly's like lower flow and lower light.You can raise your Alk to 9 with baking soda.LPS like higher ALK. Bulk Reef Supply has a calculator to help you figure out how much to add to your tank. They tell you in grams how much to add.1 teaspoon of baking soda is ruffly 4.8 grams. I just stir in in a glass of tank water until clear and pour it in the tank.It's easy and cheap. If your tank is 40 gallons and your ALK is 7.8 you can raise it to 9 with just a teaspoon and a 1/2 of baking soda.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scolly's like lower flow and lower light.You can raise your Alk to 9 with baking soda.LPS like higher ALK. Bulk Reef Supply has a calculator to help you figure out how much to add to your tank. They tell you in grams how much to add.1 teaspoon of baking soda is ruffly 4.8 grams. I just stir in in a glass of tank water until clear and pour it in the tank.It's easy and cheap. If your tank is 40 gallons and your ALK is 7.8 you can raise it to 9 with just a teaspoon and a 1/2 of baking soda.

Make sure you do this very slowly.

Also, you may not end up having a choice about dosing, depending on what your coraline uptakes for calcification + your corals.
However, dosing would keep you more stable, which is why I said to test every day for a week to see what your parameters are doing

Also, afr also replenishes all your trace elements which is also beneficial.

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I gave the scoly to a customer at the store i work at, he's a scoly guru and has a good chance of reviving it. havent had a chance to test elements daily this week (quite busy) but i'll try to get alk done atleast. Thanks for your help guys

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%

Back