OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be stressed, it could be fine. I personally don't see a huge problem at this point even with that last photo. That doesn't mean one is not brewing.
I have to back up @Hincapiej4 on how important regular testing of Alk and Ca and to a lesser degree Mag, though I don't know that I'd be as harsh in the delivery. While you say that you regularly perform a 10% water change, how do you know you are actually replenishing the levels an acceptable amount. For example, let's say that your Alk is at 8.9, a week goes by and you change 10%, but if your Alk dropped to 8.0 in that week, a 10% water change would only bring your Alk up to 8.89. Over time and with growth exponentially increasing Alk consumption, you can obviously see how your levels can drop precipitously.
Test everything at regular intervals. I test for Alk every couple of days at the same time during the day. Once a week for Calcium and once every couple of months for Mag.
You're absolutely right and that's why I'm going to start doing that. This tank is my BABY and I gotta take good care of her. I'm not lazy with maintenance at all so I'm not gonna be lazy with testing from now on either

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Make sure to take the shell off the krill if it has any. Makes it hard to digest, and a little goes a long way! Krill is kinda dirty, so don't give them a .....tummy ache haha
Didn't even realize the krill had a shell. Must be very thin

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be stressed, it could be fine. I personally don't see a huge problem at this point even with that last photo. That doesn't mean one is not brewing.
I have to back up @Hincapiej4 on how important regular testing of Alk and Ca and to a lesser degree Mag, though I don't know that I'd be as harsh in the delivery. While you say that you regularly perform a 10% water change, how do you know you are actually replenishing the levels an acceptable amount. For example, let's say that your Alk is at 8.9, a week goes by and you change 10%, but if your Alk dropped to 8.0 in that week, a 10% water change would only bring your Alk up to 8.89. over time and with growth exponentially increasing Alk consumption, you can obviously see how your levels can drop precipitously.
Test everything at regular intervals. I test for Alk every couple of days at the same time during the day. Once a week for Calcium and once every couple of months for Mag.

Exactly. Again..it's not just corals that use alk, cal etc. Believe it or not...the nitrogen cycle does it too. Just going through ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and etc does it. Lol

You don't know if you are actually replenishing unless you check. I might be harsh as f. But it's all love, and i didn't grow up in a type of place where you make a habit of sugar coating. I don't have time or patience for it.

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. Again..it's not just corals that use alk, cal etc. Believe it or not...the nitrogen cycle does it too. Just going through ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and etc does it. Lol

You don't know if you are actually replenishing unless you check. I might be harsh as f. But it's all love, and i didn't grow up in a type of place where you make a habit of sugar coating. I don't have time or patience for it.
Fair enough. I work at an lfs and I don't sugarcoat stuff either. "NO YOU WILL NOT BUY A BLUE TANG FOR YOUR 55 GALLON TODAY" HAHAHA

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not always. But shrimp has a shell, and depending on what you are feeding it could have it. The krill i have, it's a sheet of it, doest have a slight shell
That's the same stuff I use, I'll peel it off before I give it to the scolys. I used to have a dwarf lionfish so my duncan's would get the leftovers haha

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The love is appreciated, messages can be conveyed without sugarcoating or being harsh. It's all about the delivery and we try our best here @ R2R to help without belittling as that may very well turn off some people from your very important and much-appreciated guidance. It's just that atmosphere we are striving for.

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The love is appreciated, messages can be conveyed without sugarcoating or being harsh. It's all about the delivery and we try our best here @ R2R to help without belittling as that may very well turn off some people from your very important and much-appreciated guidance. It's just that atmosphere we are striving for.
I didn't take it the wrong way but I'm a little more thick skinned. Either way, thanks to both of you for your help, much appreciated

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed it, and all my corals reef roids, mixed with marine snow every Sunday
Try feeding oyster feast what I feed my sps once a week and dose 1 ml lugols iodine and red sea abcd with bright well amino try adding macro algae tank for better nutrient export also it may help if you put something underneath of it to get it up off the sandbed like a piece of a plug or slate,oldschool reefers used to dose ferion and baking soda and had pristine hardcorals under hps mh,it could be anything rtn stn monti eating nudis, redbugs placement flow params lighting so its rule of deduction) start feeding more get oyster feast and start feeding this and mysis shrimp dose iodine and aminos and get redsea abcd highly reccomended(you can put in your tank volume on redseas website and they'll tell you dosing based on volume(start at half ,three quarters then full dosing) but I bet if you started dosing feed oyster feast twice a week and mysis daily when feeding fish(turn off flow during feeding feed before lights out)and reefroid or chilli before weekly water change add iodine supplement and amino acids closer to coral and maybe add iron and sodium to your bottle collection keep that calcium at a stable 450 shell come around personally it looks like sand burn from being close to the sandbed and improper feeding regimen trachs and Scully's can be tricky sometimes hence the price tag

Last edited:
OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try feeding oyster feast what I feed my sps once a week and dose 1 ml lugols iodine and red sea abcd with bright well amino try adding macro algae tank for better nutrient export also it may help if you put something underneath of it to get it up off the sandbed like a piece of a plug or slate,oldschool reefers used to dose ferion and baking soda and had pristine hardcorals under hps mh,it could be anything rtn stn monti eating nudis, bedbugs placement flow params lighting so its rule of deduction) start feeding more get oyster feast and start feeding this and mysis shrimp dose iodine and aminos and get redsea abcd highly reccomended(you can put in your tank volume on redseas website and they'll tell you dosing based on volume(start at half ,three quarters then full dosing) but I bet if you started dosing feed oyster feast twice a week and mysis daily when feeding fish(turn off flow during feeding feed before lights out)and refried or chilli before weekly water change add iodine supplement and amino acids closer to coral and maybe add iron and sodium to your bottle collection keep that calcium at a stable 450 shell come around personally it looks like sand burn from being close to the sandbed and improper feeding regimen trachs and Scully's can be tricky sometimes hence the price tag
Wow, that was alot to take in haha. I have the scoly on a drag plug so it's not fully on the sandbed.

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The urchin could even got hangry and said prick!!! And a-crunch-a-munch with that little mouth I've seen shrimp eat coral when I left my mom in charge of the tank when I went on vacation

Attachments

• tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    221.5 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The urchin could even got hangry and said prick!!! And a-crunch-a-munch with that little mouth I've seen shrimp eat coral when I left my mom in charge of the tank when I went on vacation
Honestly I think that's pretty unlikely. I've never seen my urchin bother any of my corals

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that was alot to take in haha. I have the scoly on a drag plug so it's not fully on the sandbed.
Still if you have a moderate flow I would say more than likely this is the problem,if this doesn't work try adjusting params(also not being rude I dont think reefroids would be the end all be all more food such as oyster feast and mysis or baby brine or rotifer) as well as nutrient supplement I think personally reefroids would only be primary food source for soft corals and smaller mouth lps and even then you should be giving a variety how would you feel if you had to eat the same thing every day) nutrient density is more specific for the uptake of nutrient in hardcorals in order to form a skeletal structure from calcium carbonate based water

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oyster feast for tissue and sell formation reefroids for coloration and zooanthelle boost and mysis shrimp for energy and metabolic reflexes aminos for optimum healthy and immunity aswell as production in protective celluloid layer

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back