SOS!!!!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s coming out of the sponge Every time I put the sponge filter back in the water millions of them come out of it no matter how many times I twist and turn it in try to clean it out still keeps coming out it’s not the water in the tank that’s the problem it’s the filter I can’t put the filter back in without it completely filling up the tank with brown trim it looks like a freaking snow globe
So stop putting the sponge in and clean it.

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll rot and cause problems, especially in a seahorse tank.

irescuedogs, why not just rinse the filter in a bucket of saltwater until the brine shrimp are all gone?
I’ve rinsed so many times and it still really bad it’s the craziest thing ever so many

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they are still breeding in that sponge. Clearly, this is not a good long term solution for you if you are going to continue feeding live food in a small tank. Ditch that sponge and go HOB, get some live rock, sand and maybe a gorgonian or sea fan for them to hold onto. Sounds like these little guys need a remodel. If you can afford it, look into the Fluval Evo 13.5 AIO.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they are still breeding in that sponge. Clearly, this is not a good long term solution for you if you are going to continue feeding live food in a small tank. Ditch that sponge and go HOB, get some live rock, sand and maybe a gorgonian or sea fan for them to hold onto. Sounds like these little guys need a remodel. If you can afford it, look into the Fluval Evo 13.5 AIO.
I think they're dead brine shrimp that collected in the sponge over weeks/months of feeding. Brine shrimp don't breed like copepods do. Dwarf seahorses are really different from regular seahorses, and a HOB would probably be too much :)

OP, I don't even use a sponge filter in my dwarf seahorse tank. Just an airstone bubbling lightly and weekly water changes.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they're dead brine shrimp that collected in the sponge over weeks/months of feeding. Brine shrimp don't breed like copepods do. Dwarf seahorses are really different from regular seahorses, and a HOB would probably be too much :)

OP, I don't even use a sponge filter in my dwarf seahorse tank. Just an airstone bubbling lightly and weekly water changes.
@ThePurple12 ... at least I recommended something for them to hold on to... :p
hold on tight season 2 GIF by Black Sails

Lana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottle of beneficial bacteria may help.. it may be a daunting task but try to ring out as much of the shrimp as you can and rinse in the display tank.. then manually filter out via syphon and filter sock. The shrimp will stop coming out of the sponge eventually.

While your picking up the bacteria at the LFS.. buy some live rock or marine pure style bio filter stuff for the bacteria to live on if this continues to happen, in a few weeks you can completely replace that sponge

I'm not an expert on shrimp or keeping seahorses.. just my opinion. Do what you think is best
I agree. I

Lana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look u
Lana, it sounded to me like it was a troll as too much of what he said was quite implausible. You can't wash out the sponge 40 times and still have it releasing brine such that it's like a snowstorm.
Ya it made no sense to me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back