SOS!!!!

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change on my 10 gallon seahorse tank and I cleaned my sponge filter and I put it back in and it’s just filled the whole tank with brine shrimp I’ve cleaned it like 3 times and brine shrimp is still pouring out of it. I’ve never seen anything like it! Help!!!! what do I do!!!!!????

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he means to syphon water from the display tank, and let it pour out into a filter sock and drain the filtered water back Into the display. Your pretty much manually filtering the water. Do it until the water is visually clear.

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he means to syphon water from the display tank, and let it pour out into a filter sock and drain the filtered water back Into the display. Your pretty much manually filtering the water. Do it until the water is visually clear.
It’s coming out of the sponge Every time I put the sponge filter back in the water millions of them come out of it no matter how many times I twist and turn it in try to clean it out still keeps coming out it’s not the water in the tank that’s the problem it’s the filter I can’t put the filter back in without it completely filling up the tank with brown trim it looks like a freaking snow globe

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
assuming you do not have 2nd sponge filter, take out leave out ,continue with air until can get a new one tomorrow ,clean water as much as poss ,check ammonia ,they will be fine without sponge tonight,not sure if you can put in washing machine,i normally just replace,and yes run water through tube sock if ness.

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s coming out of the sponge Every time I put the sponge filter back in the water millions of them come out of it no matter how many times I twist and turn it in try to clean it out still keeps coming out it’s not the water in the tank that’s the problem it’s the filter I can’t put the filter back in without it completely filling up the tank with brown trim it looks like a freaking snow globe
Brine shrimp

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
assuming you do not have 2nd sponge filter, take out leave out ,continue with air until can get a new one tomorrow ,clean water as much as poss ,check ammonia ,they will be fine without sponge tonight,not sure if you can put in washing machine,i normally just replace,and yes run water through tube sock if ness.
What about all the beneficial bacteria? I’ll have to start cycling all over? Will my babies be able to handle that? I don’t want them to die :( they’re my babies

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you have any live rock in tank ,sand? how about a current pic?

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a beneficial bacteria additive like microbacter7 or nutrafin cycle. Also are your seahorses dwarf seahorses? Because full sized seahorses have no business in a 10 gallon tank.
Buy a beneficial bacteria additive like microbacter7 or nutrafin cycle. Also are your seahorses dwarf seahorses? Because full sized seahorses have no business in a 10 gallon tank.
Yes dwarf seahorses

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottle of beneficial bacteria may help.. it may be a daunting task but try to ring out as much of the shrimp as you can and rinse in the display tank.. then manually filter out via syphon and filter sock. The shrimp will stop coming out of the sponge eventually.

While your picking up the bacteria at the LFS.. buy some live rock or marine pure style bio filter stuff for the bacteria to live on if this continues to happen, in a few weeks you can completely replace that sponge

I'm not an expert on shrimp or keeping seahorses.. just my opinion. Do what you think is best

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I say rinse and ring out in the display tank I mean to take the sponge and submerge it in the display tank and twist and fold "ring out" the sponge and best as you can to force the rest out.. then start to manually filter.

Do not rinse in tap water.. you do not want to wash out or kill your bacteria

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Rinse under water pressure and then agitate and squeeze out in bucket of water
I would pick up a spare sponge or a $20 hang on back filter which will polish water, entrap brine shrimp and add oxygen to tank

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the worry about brine shrimp being in the tank? Sea horses won't eat them?
They'll rot and cause problems, especially in a seahorse tank.

irescuedogs, why not just rinse the filter in a bucket of saltwater until the brine shrimp are all gone?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back