Sound in a reef aquarium?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank used to be next to this ….. never any issues.

Front.JPG

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two thoughts taken from us navy studies on sonar and its effect on wildlife.

Avoid 2kHz and 10 kHz frequencies directed towards the tank itself. Let the speaker bounce off walls then enter the tank, dont point the speakers at the tank. This is actually outside the range you can understand langauge, no idea how much a home speaker produces at these frequencies.

And avoid high intensity sounds(this one is more difficult to determine tbh). As this is a measure of the amount of energy carried by the sound. Which is not directly related to its decibel.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expensive hobbies there @ca1ore

Indeed, though as my hearing has declined over time expensive audio equipment upgrades have been replaced by silly fish and coral purchases. Those speakers were bought in 1995 .... and the manufaturer is long out of business so spare parts are problematic.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are them bass boxes built into the wall beside the towers?

No. I was really into high end audio a while back, and educated myself in the arcane arts of audio wave propagation within a fixed space ..... so they’re sound absorbing panels to improve audio coherence ...... yada yada.

U

User1

View Badges
Indeed, though as my hearing has declined over time expensive audio equipment upgrades have been replaced by silly fish and coral purchases. Those speakers were bought in 1995 .... and the manufaturer is long out of business so spare parts are problematic.

Fully understand. I used to be into audio although not to what you are showing there. My mother used to work for a older speaker company ESS and I met Dr. Oscar Heil who designed the Heil Diaphragm. I carried around a set of AMT loud speakers for many a year and only recently retiring them when I ran out of the original diaphragms. The only drawback is that they really needed a large room to get the full effect.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s cool. I remember AMT speakers with the big Heil tweeter. Mine pictured use planar magnetic/ribbon transducers for mids and highs; then a boatload of good old piston cones for the bass.

Sorry for the rabbit hole OT ....

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 95 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back