South Suburbs Chicago Help!

Dvanlier05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been cruising fish stores from as far south as joliet to as far north as lake Geneva. Hit maybe 15-20 stores. Nothing in the heart of the city. I have only found 2 stores that have a “selection of acros”
Reef geeks has a lot but pricey (imo)+limited hours
Reefwise had a lot, many died and they have not recovered.
Every other store maybe has 1-3 sticks or colonies on hand if your lucky. And those are either brown or a common easy to care for non acro sps.
Why are they a unicorn in this area?
Please point me in the right direction of an SPS heavy store in the Chicagoland area.
I live in Lake Zurich and have been to almost every aquarium store in the area. Some store have ur basic birdsnest, stylo, monti but very limited acros. I've had best luck at frag shows, other local reefers or online vendors like TSA. Sorry, I went through the same thing when I got bit by the SPS bug

OP
OP
Heabel7

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a shame, as the online vendors charge a true premium for everything. I want an Sps Walmart/target. Huge selection, quality products at great prices, fancy name not needed. All this Saks 5th avenue stuff is out of control. I guess more importantly. If I have to pay a premium it’s a must to see in person. All the BS over saturated blue pics are not realistic from 80% of online vendors. In addition, they are all premium shots in the perfect lighting conditions for that specific coral. Something that is a true unicorn under everyday reef hobbyists conditions.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here that’s just starting to add corals to a 120G that’s about a year old. I was hoping to refresh this string and see if suggestions have changed. I’m looking for a place with a good selection of coral and fair prices where I don’t need to worry about bringing home a lot of hitchhikers or other problems.

I’m thinking of checking out Beyond the Reef, Blue Line Coral, and Wojteks Reef. Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Dvanlier05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here that’s just starting to add corals to a 120G that’s about a year old. I was hoping to refresh this string and see if suggestions have changed. I’m looking for a place with a good selection of coral and fair prices where I don’t need to worry about bringing home a lot of hitchhikers or other problems.

I’m thinking of checking out Beyond the Reef, Blue Line Coral, and Wojteks Reef. Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
I would highly recommend Wojtek. Great guy, fair prices, and great selection. He was my go to when I had LPS and softies

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wotjek a little pricey but high quality, beyond the reef, Reef geeks- Great quality/selection/prices, sho-tanks, and Mermaids cove for fish mainly

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get what you paying for... I will pay extra ,no problem.
Gingerbread is really good! Awesome fish and pretty big selection of corals.
Sawdonkey on Chicago Reef and Ryan Cumminghan on Facebook for Sps.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back