Space Aliens

Allaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help to identify strange creatures in my tank. I have no idea what it might be. I have a tiny amount of aptasia that I am currently fighting and I thought that these might be babies, but they don't resemble aptasia. No tentacles or smooth stalk, and the little fan that seems to be attached at the top is very short and pointed. They almost look like a filter worm of some kind.

They are 3mm to 8mm long and seem to prefer low-flow, low light areas. They are soft and crunch like tiny piece of celery. They are everywhere in the sump and in a couple corners of the display. They don't seem to cause any problems, but are starting to multiply at an alarming rate.

Tank has been running for 6 months after a move, and they have gone from non-existent to a few hundred in maybe 2 months. I have added some coral and for what it is worth I saw nothing like this on them when I dipped them.

0.02ppm PO4
0.08ppm NO3
465ppm Ca
1500ppm Mg
9.5 dKH
1.026sg
8.3 PH

I'd like to know what they are and how to get rid of them. If they are actually aliens then I would like to donate them to science.

Thank you in advance.

20211018_173818.jpg 20211018_173908.jpg

Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Benthic foraminiferans. The fiberglass looking hairs are feeding structures. They are sessile absorption feeders. Harmless and most will likely die off on their own as the tank matures. You can also scrape them off very easily with an old credit card if you wish. They are absorbing excess silicates among other things to build their structure. That's what gives them the crunchy texture.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Benthic foraminiferans. The fiberglass looking hairs are feeding structures. They are sessile absorption feeders. Harmless and most will likely die off on their own as the tank matures. You can also scrape them off very easily with an old credit card if you wish. They are absorbing excess silicates among other things to build their structure. That's what gives them the crunchy texture.

Upvote 1
Solution

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back