OP
OP
S

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I need to have more fish in my tank to help get my nutrients up. The PJ is massive and I fear he will attack whatever is put in. I think I may take him to the LFS and try to find 2 Black Percs. Thoughts?

OP
OP
S

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a red green birdsnest and successfully fragged it to a better looking piece (was very long and unwieldy) another frag will go into my gf's 3g pico when we get our new Cobalt heater. Also got what looked like a green millie with red polyps. Doesn't look very red in my tank unfortunately.

Have decided at some point this week I am going to start the Zeovit Nano pack to help my corals recover. Reef fuel is not doing much for the SPS's color. I have seen another user on this thread (x3thelast - https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/nano-reefs/107930-sps-dominant-spec-v.html) use it successfully on a tank smaller than mine without the stones so I hope that I can have some of the same success.

I will post a photo later today I hope. Have had a death in my family so this week has not been the best.

OP
OP
S

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some photos (couldn't edit the above post)

Not happy with the placement of the "millie" but it seems too late now. It gets light on all sides so while I would prefer it be at more of an angle I guess its good for the coral.

Attachments

• DSCN0118.jpg
    DSCN0118.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 240
  • DSCN0119.jpg
    DSCN0119.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 249
  • DSCN0120.jpg
    DSCN0120.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 262

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good!

OP
OP
S

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started using the Zeo Vit nano power pack and here is my dosing schedule. Because of my tank and sump size (~20g) I decided to start slow,

Started with 4 drops of Pol's Xtra every day - now at 16 Drops / day approx around noon.
Started with 2 drops of AA's - 8 drops / day in AM
Sponge Power/Coral Vitalizer, 1 drop alternate days after lights out.

Have noticed some improvement in color but not much. I have also taken the splashguard off my Aquatic Life Fixture to help promote more par, from my bulbs, which I feel are not cutting it for my Acros

I had removed all GFO from the display and began to get more algae growing on the rocks. With last waterchange added ~.75 of TBS and upped ROX to 2 TBS to help improve water clarity.

OP
OP
S

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rescaped and changed the position of my over flow and MP10. I like it more (and so does the PJ) and I think it will help with filtration. I'm also using the MP10 on Nutrient Export Mode now which is essentially a combo of wavemaking and tidal surge (suggestion by Parker).

I've also gone back to 2 ATI Blue+ on the Blue cycle 12-8 and Coral+ and Geiseman Pure Actinic on White cycle 12:30-7:30

Finally I caved and bought a SCA-301 65g Cone Skimmer. I just don't think the Tunze Nano really cuts it, but I guess I'll find out.

OP
OP
S

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Parker, and thanks for your advice.

Here are some recent photos, I apologize that the photos are not as crisp as I would like them to be... still getting used to this camera.

Attachments

• DSCN0142.jpg
    DSCN0142.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCN0155.jpg
    DSCN0155.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCN0164.jpg
    DSCN0164.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCN0182.jpg
    DSCN0182.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCN0173.jpg
    DSCN0173.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 234
OP
OP
S

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new shots... looking at my past phots makes me sad to see what the frags looked like and to what they are like now...

Attachments

• DSCN0197.jpg
    DSCN0197.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCN0202.jpg
    DSCN0202.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN0221.JPG
    DSCN0221.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 201
OP
OP
S

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans and chalice that I cracked taking off the plug yesterday.

Removed a black polypy looking thing from the inside of the purple chalice where the white spot is where it is healing over. Was kind of bored into it.

Attachments

• DSCN0199.jpg
    DSCN0199.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCN0201.jpg
    DSCN0201.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 219
OP
OP
S

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans warcoral and birdsnest

Attachments

• DSCN0213.jpg
    DSCN0213.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCN0206.JPG
    DSCN0206.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 232
OP
OP
S

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green sps, looks red likely because of purple plus, and pasamcora

Attachments

• DSCN0215.jpg
    DSCN0215.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCN0219.jpg
    DSCN0219.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 216
OP
OP
S

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've stopped using zeostart3 and have been adding much less products into the tank...

Im going on a vacation next week for about a week so I've removed the filtersocks so that the tank can acclimate to the increased nutrient load. I've gotten some brown algae growth in the sand.

Still have undetectable nitrate and some po4 hanna usually around .04-.08 keepign DKH high because I bought RS Coral Pro salt 55g bucket. Will switch salts when I return and the DKH is likely to be low. Since raising the alk I've noticed much more growth, but no overall better color.

Alot of SPS are still brown, and all are rebounding. Added a pair of ORA ocelleras to help with NO3 production and to liven up the tank.

Next purchase will be an LED fixture AI Vega or Hydra not sure which yet, leaning towards vega.

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow very nice tank

I had something similar I went out of town for 3 days and my alk and cal droped super low.
Alk norm was 10dkh and cal 450 when I got home alk was 5.6dkh and cal 330. But the growth was crazy it looked like some of thw corals grew 1/2 in 3 days....

Last edited:

ParkerB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've stopped using zeostart3 and have been adding much less products into the tank...

Im going on a vacation next week for about a week so I've removed the filtersocks so that the tank can acclimate to the increased nutrient load. I've gotten some brown algae growth in the sand.

Still have undetectable nitrate and some po4 hanna usually around .04-.08 keepign DKH high because I bought RS Coral Pro salt 55g bucket. Will switch salts when I return and the DKH is likely to be low. Since raising the alk I've noticed much more growth, but no overall better color.

Alot of SPS are still brown, and all are rebounding. Added a pair of ORA ocelleras to help with NO3 production and to liven up the tank.

Next purchase will be an LED fixture AI Vega or Hydra not sure which yet, leaning towards vega.

I practically stopped using zeo besides start3 and bak. I think my colors are actually better a lot more dense.

Tanks looking good bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its filling out but the colors are not there... I mean the PO4 could be the reason or its my fixture. I might be nitrate limited at this point even though I feed a lot because of having only a few fish. I'm trying out less light, different bulbs, all slowly. Cutting the blues to 8 hours and whites to 5 seemed to help, or it could just be other things.

I really wish I could start up the BRS reactor again but I really don't have room and had to break a fitting to get it off my return pump, breaking the pump nozzel in the process. It might not even be necessary.

The process of elimination will continue when I get the new AI fixture hopefully in the next few months.

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you see better coloration with a ULN system?
maybe its bc i didnt feed my corals direct very often
i know when i took my tank down to 0 nits and phos was about.02 almost all corals were truning white.
i found my sweet spot with nits around 10 and phos around .04.08...
but i also dont run my alk and cal that high anymore... i try to say around the 8dkh mark.

OP
OP
S

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The birdsnest got very pale but has good growth. The others really no difference

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are still pale but slowly improving, added a red monticap and an aussie spider sponge.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back