Species / Named Coral Repository

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone... I know there's a lot of threads regarding coral names, but I wanted to take a bit of a different approach here. I've been getting more into taxonomy lately (seemingly an inevitable progression if you're into this hobby...)

My question... What is the most comprehensive repository of coral names that you are aware of? It would be a daunting amount of effort to compile all the names of everything that is named and whatever description is out there of colors, pictures, origin, etc. I also know that the same named coral can appear very different in different tanks, so naming/ID can be unreliable! I've seen bits and pieces here in there on FB groups, infographics, coral vendor sites, wholesalers, etc.

I'm aware of some sites like these:

To emphasize, I am not talking about the taxonomic/"scientific" classification. I'm talking about a site which you can see "oregon tort" or "RR Orange Passion" (etc). So it would obviously be less formal, and more geared toward hobbyists/collectors.

At the same time, how awesome would it be if there was one website/thread you could go to, to see a grown out colony or at least frag of the named coral in question? Does anyone know if there is anything like that which exists? I'm sure people have tried, and again, I realize how daunting this endeavor would be! You got to start somewhere... One can only dream.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not aware of any, but a similar thread came up a little while ago:

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone... I know there's a lot of threads regarding coral names, but I wanted to take a bit of a different approach here. I've been getting more into taxonomy lately (seemingly an inevitable progression if you're into this hobby...)

My question... What is the most comprehensive repository of coral names that you are aware of? It would be a daunting amount of effort to compile all the names of everything that is named and whatever description is out there of colors, pictures, origin, etc. I also know that the same named coral can appear very different in different tanks, so naming/ID can be unreliable! I've seen bits and pieces here in there on FB groups, infographics, coral vendor sites, wholesalers, etc.

I'm aware of some sites like these:

To emphasize, I am not talking about the taxonomic/"scientific" classification. I'm talking about a site which you can see "oregon tort" or "RR Orange Passion" (etc). So it would obviously be less formal, and more geared toward hobbyists/collectors.

At the same time, how awesome would it be if there was one website/thread you could go to, to see a grown out colony or at least frag of the named coral in question? Does anyone know if there is anything like that which exists? I'm sure people have tried, and again, I realize how daunting this endeavor would be! You got to start somewhere... One can only dream.
@Battlecorals has this as a feature on the site. Enable 'No Glitz' and you can see the species name, not a longwinded sales pitch of a name.

You can always re-enable 'Glitz' to see what everyone else is calling it.

MORE VENDORS SHOULD DO THIS!!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back