Spectrapure for chloramines

rrcompton22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Spectrapure Max cap 5 stage RODI. It uses a .5 micron sediment; .5 micron carbon; maxcap DI and silicabuster DI. I live in Central Florida and my city uses chloramine. Will the .5 micron carbon be enough? If not I'll have to figure out how to redo the plumbing and swap out one of the DIs for an extra carbon filter.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call spectrapure. They probably have a chloramine specific carbon. I know it will destroy most regular carbon. But other companies sell chloramine carbon blocks

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carbon blocks will remove some chloramines just not as much as a dedicated chloramine block. No need to re plumb I would just swap the carbon blocks for chloramine specific ones. If you like spectrapure like I do then the ChloroPlus block is the one to swap for.

OP
OP
rrcompton22

rrcompton22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call spectrapure. They probably have a chloramine specific carbon. I know it will destroy most regular carbon. But other companies sell chloramine carbon blocks

I did but their tech guy is on vacation. I uploaded my water report so hopefully I'll hear back from them next week.

The carbon blocks will remove some chloramines just not as much as a dedicated chloramine block. No need to re plumb I would just swap the carbon blocks for chloramine specific ones. If you like spectrapure like I do then the ChloroPlus block is the one to swap for.

The water goes into the sediment, then the carbon, then the RO then trickles into the maxcap and then the silicabuster, so I'd have to re-plumb in order to use 2 carbon filters or else 1 of the carbon would be filtering after the RO.

xtian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same question since my area uses chloramines as well. I asked BRS and told me their universal carbon block is good enough for them.

OP
OP
rrcompton22

rrcompton22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but your existing carbon block is worthless. Go with a dedicated chloramine carbon.

here:

That was my next step because looking at the plumbing it looks like a pain to try and use one of the DI chambers as an extra carbon.

I had the same question since my area uses chloramines as well. I asked BRS and told me their universal carbon block is good enough for them.

Awesome, thanks! I'm placing my order today for one.

@rrcompton22 putting it after the RO is no good. The chloramines ruin the RO membrane

Oh I know, that's why I was saying I would have to re-plumb to use the extra carbon because hows it's setup now, the extra carbon would be filtering after the RO, which defeats the purpose of adding the extra carbon in the first place.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to order the chloramine filter from BRS.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rrcompton22 putting it after the RO is no good. The chloramines ruin the RO membrane

Chloramines will not hurt the ro membrane, only chlorine. Chloramines will use up the DI quickly.

OP, most good carbon blocks like the .5 micron from spectrapure will take care of chloramines, they just aren't as efficient at it as one that is made specifically for chloramines. Even when you have one dedicated to chloramines, it is usually recommended to have a regular carbon filter after it. You have a couple of options. Buy a test kit and test your water after your carbon block every so often to make sure chloramines aren't getting thru. Or buy a dedicated chloramine carbon block and be done with it. You could also plumb in a second carbon filter to add a safety net. I did it to my system. You just pull the line that is coming out the current carbon filter and to the RO membrane and plug it into a second carbon filter canister. Then plug the out on the second carbon canister to the RO membrane.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place a “T” with a valve before the RO membrane. Periodically check for free and total chlorine. I went through so many filters with my water till I purchased the monster from Brs and have never been happier. My free and total chlorine from my rural water company was most times higher than my pools

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water goes into the sediment, then the carbon, then the RO then trickles into the maxcap and then the silicabuster, so I'd have to re-plumb in order to use 2 carbon filters or else 1 of the carbon would be filtering after the RO.
Just swap the regular carbon for the chloroplus and change no plumbing. the chloroplus alone is fine.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide you want to go with two carbon blocks, which isn't a bad idea, Rather than re-plumping your DI, just add a cartridge in front and move the sediment filter.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloramines will not hurt the ro membrane, only chlorine. Chloramines will use up the DI quickly.

OP, most good carbon blocks like the .5 micron from spectrapure will take care of chloramines, they just aren't as efficient at it as one that is made specifically for chloramines.

Sigh.... post video that demonstrates that .5 micron carbon filters are the worst possible option... two posts down.. "the .5 micron can work".

FYI.. chloramines that pass through carbon and is not totally absorbed result in chlorine and ammonia going downstream... to your RO membrane. Chloramines are just chlorine bonded to ammonia.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh.... post video that demonstrates that .5 micron carbon filters are the worst possible option... two posts down.. "the .5 micron can work".

FYI.. chloramines that pass through carbon and is not totally absorbed result in chlorine and ammonia going downstream... to your RO membrane. Chloramines are just chlorine bonded to ammonia.

Correct, they are bonded, and they do not hurt the membrane, at least not unless in very high concentrations. The filmtec membranes have a tolerance of 1,000 ppm-hours of chlorine. They have a 300,000 ppm-hour tolerance to chloramines.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 48 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back