Spectrometer and confusing capitalism..

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will review any scientific literature before we use it and also in consultation with recommendation from our friends, such as the team at the Horniman Museum in London.

I understand that. I was asking for clarification around the comment you made regarding BRS Biology Band. What is that and has that been reviewed. Or is it their personal preference and/or recommendation?

There is a difference.

ITCreefculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that. I was asking for clarification around the comment you made regarding BRS Biology Band. What is that and has that been reviewed. Or is it their personal preference and/or recommendation?

There is a difference.
Hi Areefer01 - The BRS Biology Band is a range of spectra that Bulk Reef Supply have proposed people use for comparisons based on the response curves of a few chlorophylls and the carotenoid peridinin - used by them to compare a range of LED lights that they sell and of course make. Where they got their data from I don't know but you'd assume they used peer reviewed sources.

BRS Biology Band:

OP
OP
oreo54

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Areefer01 - The BRS Biology Band is a range of spectra that Bulk Reef Supply have proposed people use for comparisons based on the response curves of a few chlorophylls and the carotenoid peridinin - used by them to compare a range of LED lights that they sell and of course make. Where they got their data from I don't know but you'd assume they used peer reviewed sources.
Yea.. it's complicated.. ;)

The functional absorption cross-section of PSII (i.e. the amount of light absorbed for PSII photochemistry) has recently been found to be higher in the blue than in the red part of PAR [19], consistent with the enhanced ETR measured under the blue-weighted spectrum in this study (Fig. 4B). At present, an improved understanding of the optical properties of Symbiodinium is clearly needed to better estimate light absorption by PSII, i.e., the PSII absorption cross section and consequently absolute electron transport rates [19].

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And they basically said "this range is what most experts can agree on". But there have been studies that showed useful benefits of light down to 397nm, and up to 490nm+.

BRS' 410-484 biology band fit into everybody's range, but it doesn't encompass the whole range from everybody, if that makes sense.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back