spfahnestock's 144 Half Circle Build

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within the next few months I will be setting up a 144 half circle tank. This is one of my all time favorite looking tanks. Tonight I started my equipment list and I am looking for input on if I am missing anything or selected the wrong sizes (ect).

A few items to note:
  1. This will be FOWLER but want the equipment in place in case i decide to go reef
  2. I am stuck on Radium lights, MP wavemakers, and Vortech pumps. Since I have the reeflink I can just use that to control them all and mimic setting from my 60 gallon.
  3. I already have a spare ATO which is why it isnt on the list.
Propossed equipment:

ItemQuantity
Radion XR15 G5 Blue LED Light Fixture2
Vectra L2 DC Aquarium Water Pump1
MS Single Tank Mount for G5 Radion2
EcoTech Marine VorTech MP40wQD Propeller Pumps (2x) + Battery Backup 1
Bubble Magus Curve 7 In Sump Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer w/ Bubble Plate1
Trigger Systems Ruby Sump - 36 inch1
CaribSea Arag Alive Fiji Pink Sand 20 lbs4
SS-TEN - 10 Gallon Auto Top Off Container - Bashsea1
HC-0810M Deluxe Digital Temperature Controller with LED Display1
TH-0800 800 Watt Deluxe Titanium Heater with Heater Guard (Heater Element Only) - Finnex1
CaribSea South Seas Aquascaping Base Rock - 40 lbs3
Two Little Fishies GFO Phosban Reactor 1502

I appreciate your input.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your list looks good to me so far. Will your sump be placed in the stand or do you plan to have a sump room? The 2 biggest challenges I had when setting up is lighting and flow due to the shape of the tank. No doubt your MP40's will provide solid flow but the problem areas will be the ends of the tank where it tapers around to the back of the tank. Lighting is another challenge, again due to the shape. Do you plan to use a canopy? I am currently using 2 Hydra 26's on each end of the tank to gets some coverage and a Hydra 52 in the middle place a little bit forward (towards the front of the tank), 2 lights just wasn't enough.
For your FOWLER setup I think you will be ok, but if you decide to go with corals down the road you might want one more Radion, a hybrid or some puck lights for the ends. My vote is set it up and adjust accordingly. Let me know when you start your build thread and get rolling, I would like to follow along. :)

OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your list looks good to me so far. Will your sump be placed in the stand or do you plan to have a sump room? The 2 biggest challenges I had when setting up is lighting and flow due to the shape of the tank. No doubt your MP40's will provide solid flow but the problem areas will be the ends of the tank where it tapers around to the back of the tank. Lighting is another challenge, again due to the shape. Do you plan to use a canopy? I am currently using 2 Hydra 26's on each end of the tank to gets some coverage and a Hydra 52 in the middle place a little bit forward (towards the front of the tank), 2 lights just wasn't enough.
For your FOWLER setup I think you will be ok, but if you decide to go with corals down the road you might want one more Radion, a hybrid or some puck lights for the ends. My vote is set it up and adjust accordingly. Let me know when you start your build thread and get rolling, I would like to follow along. :)

Thanks for the feedback.

My initial plan is to start with the MP40's on opposite ends of the back glass about midway down. my hope was they would hit the front glass and "bend" the flow around the front. If that makes sense.

As for lighting I am also considering going hybrid with T-5s but that will be a future project.

On the Canopy I am going to try going without and potentially find a way to make a mesh cover but I am not sure this is possible.

I anticipate starting the build thread in the fall and being wet early winter. I want to assemble all the pieces and parts over time to deffer the shock to my wallet and lesson the angry looks from the wife.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This will be a nice one. Like 1/2 moons myself

OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I took the first step in the next tank adventure. I received delivery of a 144 half circle tank.

This tank will take a little bit to get set up and if all goes right it will be filled with water within the next 4 to 6 months. It will be my winter project.

**** Renamed the thread to become the build thread also****
24485.jpeg

OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice. I am going back and forth on the return pump for this set up.

Option one the Vectra L2
Option two is 2 X Vectra S2 one of each return

Any thoughts and potential pitfalls of running two separate return pumps?

OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some progress has been made on obtaining the items to make this dream tank a reality. Thanks to some good Black Friday Sales and people selling no longer needed equipment I was able to obtain the following:

Radion XR15 G4s X2
Mounts for Radion XR15s
Bubble Magnus Curve 7 Skimmer
Trigger Systems Ruby Sump 36"
15 Gallon Innovative Marine HydroFill ATO Reservoir
Titanium Heater and Controller
80lbs of Base Rock (decided to go with 80 instead of 120lbs of rock)

Base rock is currently curing in a trash can and being seeded (?) with bacteria to hopefully prevent the issues I had in the 60 cube with using dry base rock.

I am thinking of shifting focus to building my stand once the ordered pieces arrive and then looking for the remaining components needed to make the tank a reality.

OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 MP40’s. Rear center, sends incredible flow through live rock if you go with a reef.
I have been researching and considering switching from the MP40s to the Reef Octopus Octo Pulse 2s or 4s.

All of the reviews say they are just as good as the MP40s and honestly the price is attractive. The only downfall is the programmability does not seem to be there without getting an apex or other additional controller.

Already running Vortechs and MP 10s on my other tank I have the reeflink and know what I am getting into with them but they come with a hefty price tag. I could almost complete my tank with Reef Octopus equipment for the cost of the MP40s alone.

Such decisions...

OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well progress is being made. I moved the tank into the house today and ordered the two return pumps and one MP40. I am going to try it with just the one MP40 since the plan is a FOWLR and see how it goes. I figure worse case I can add another MP40 or two MP10s later.

I will start demo on the area the tank will go over the next two weeks and build the new stand for it,

If all goes right by 1 February I will have the tank wet and on a two month cycle.

OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today is the day. Today I will start removing the built in cabinets and over the weekend work on building my stand.

Over the last month the final pieces of equipment have arrived, and now I feel comfortable proceeding.

I will try to remember to document all the progress with pictures along the way.

If all goes right by mid February I will have water in the tank and starting the cycle.

OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to make sure I get a before photo in here.

I must add a side note that the wife is not happing losing all this storage.

Please excuse the random clutter this is my family room and work from home area.

Tank Location Start of Project.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today I was able to construct the rest of the stand structure.

I will still need to add a front panel, But I am going to wait on that until the tank is up and running.

Over this week I will be staining the stand in with the intention of placing the tank on the stand next weekend and starting the plumbing.

I am hoping that I built the stand sturdy enough but I guess only time will tell.

I have also rough placed the sump and the ATO reservoir.
Braces In.jpg
Stand Built.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back