Spionid worms or vermetid snails???

dommythaGOAT

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2021
Messages
35
Reaction score
4
Location
orange
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted are a few photos of what I believe to be either spionid worms or vermetid snails. I am leaning towards the spionid worms because I have not seen any “web like” material come out of the end, but if anyone knows please let me know? if they are spionid worms, are they harmless? Thank you!

5636105C-A804-44BE-8AD9-45CE483F0D94.jpeg A916AA44-7D66-45E0-B78D-EB9C86D38480.jpeg 636DEF73-429E-49DC-9FF1-56F6F50A9ABC.jpeg CEB93BB9-5F6A-406D-B0D6-7732D7AC4C53.jpeg
 
Looks like vermetid snails to me.
It looks like that but I was reading that vermetid snails cast a web like net out for feeding I believe and there are lots and lots of them in my tank and I’ve never seen that. Is this true or do they not always do this?
 
It looks like that but I was reading that vermetid snails cast a web like net out for feeding I believe and there are lots and lots of them in my tank and I’ve never seen that. Is this true or do they not always do this?
Not all vermetids cast noticable webs. The things in the pics are definitely vermetids.
 
Not all vermetids cast noticable webs. The things in the pics are definitely vermetids.
Just out of curiousity, what gives it away - is it the spiral shell?

I've had both, I believe I was able to rid myself of spinoids by removing the two frags which they seemed to come in on. Tell tale sign was the tubes with the large "antennae" coming out.
 
Just out of curiousity, what gives it away - is it the spiral shell?

I've had both, I believe I was able to rid myself of spinoids by removing the two frags which they seemed to come in on. Tell tale sign was the tubes with the large "antennae" coming out.
Spionid worms burrow into rock and coral skeleton. Vermetid snails have that telltale spiral shell at the base of the stalk.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new