Splashless bleach

Pugs508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon R2R,

As many others I'm seeing have, I made the terrible mistake of using low splash walmart brand bleach to cure my used dry rock. The rock sat for approximately 16hrs before the mistake was recognized.

I've done quite a bit of reading with a 60/40 split opinion between throw it out and rinse it a bunch and call it good. Is there any consistent opinion of whether the rock is viable. 130+ pounds of awesome pukani and shelf rock pieces hate to see it wasted.

So far I've rinsed it with 100's of gallons of water, then acid cured- rinsed- now sitting in water/powdered carbon to hopefully remove detergents. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this correctly you soaked the rocks for 16 hours in the "bad" bleach.

Then you rinsed it a bunch.

Then you soaked it in acid? What strength, what kind exactly, how long?

Rinsed again.

Now sitting in water with activated carbon.

After an acid bath and subsequent rinsing I would think you are ok. If you used acid strong enough to strip away the surface layers of the rock then even more so.

I would be rinsing the heck out of it myself, just using tap water even, soak it and change the water daily for a week just for piece of mind.

otherwise you may have more luck in the chemistry forum.

OP
OP
P

Pugs508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this correctly you soaked the rocks for 16 hours in the "bad" bleach.

Then you rinsed it a bunch.

Then you soaked it in acid? What strength, what kind exactly, how long?

Rinsed again.

Now sitting in water with activated carbon.

After an acid bath and subsequent rinsing I would think you are ok. If you used acid strong enough to strip away the surface layers of the rock then even more so.

I would be rinsing the heck out of it myself, just using tap water even, soak it and change the water daily for a week just for piece of mind.

otherwise you may have more luck in the chemistry forum.
Yes thats correct, 16 hours in "bad" bleach. Rinsed a ton then muriatic acid bath at a 1:15 ratio for 10-15 minutes. Then power washed rock and trickle rinsed again for a half day with running garden hose. Now sitting in tap water with powdered carbon.

Jeepjeep_0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with Peter above weigh the risks. Good pukani is hard to find though. I used Target brand “splash less “ bleach for a long time washing filter socks before I realized the potential damage it could do. Fortunately I never had adverse results but I did do like three rinse cycles whenever I did a load and dried them completely.

OP
OP
P

Pugs508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is how much do you have invested in corals in your aquarium? There is a $ level where it is not worth the risk.
This is a new build with no money invested in live stock at this point.

OP
OP
P

Pugs508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless I get a obvious reason not to, I believe I'm going to continue rinsing
@Randy Holmes-Farley has provided priceless information for me regarding chemistry. I’m pretty sure he’ll have some valuable input on this.
Thanks for tagging him, I was actually pointed in his/this direction from bostonreefers my local forum.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that as long as it stopped foaming/suddsing at some point when you rinsed it, that it would ok after all that. If its not, you'll see apparent issues in the beginning of your tank. I don't see a good reason as to why not to use it if you don't have an issue with having to take all the rock out down the road if you have an issue.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the pieces in your toilet tank, of course without any chemicals in the tank, take out after a week or two. Automatic Rinsing and Flushing without wasting water. Another Rinse Source would be RO/DI Waste Water. It’s already been through a Sediment Filter, and one to two charcoal filters, depending on your set up.

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the pieces in your toilet tank, of course without any chemicals in the tank, take out after a week or two. Automatic Rinsing and Flushing without wasting water. Another Rinse Source would be RO/DI Waste Water. It’s already been through a Sediment Filter, and one to two charcoal filters, depending on your set up.

Any update on this?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back