Splendid dottyback bullied and not doing well

unclepregs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

This morning I found my fish laying in a corner of the tank and I suspect my coral beauty has been harassing it. A piece of his fin looks gone and probably some internal damage. I am going to set up a hospital tank but was wondering what the best medication to use?

As far as hospital tank, if I use some marine pure balls in a HOB filter with a heater, it should be enough for filtration right?

Any input would be fantastic.

Attachments

• IMG_2517.MOV
    27.9 MB

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The HOB heater and media balls will be fine would be even better if they are cycled and have live bacteria if not you will just have to keep an eye on parameters.

I would just seperate and monitor now. It doesnt look good that he isnt moving at all.

I will let others provide input on meds as im not sure if they will be much for fin damage

I think clean water and robust diet if eating is best until strength is regained

OP
OP
U

unclepregs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t get him to eat and is very lethargic and breathing rather quickly. Been researching but don’t know really what to do at the moment.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t get him to eat and is very lethargic and breathing rather quickly. Been researching but don’t know really what to do at the moment.

Just seeing this now (I'm usually on the fish disease forum).

I cannot see fin damage in the video, but if it is there, you need to isolate this fish to keep it from any further damage.

How long have you had this dottyback? If less than a month, there is another issue common to this species - these fish hide in the reef and are very difficult to catch. Divers resort to using cyanide to drive them out of the coral (awful practice!). This allows the divers to net them, but it can cause latent damage in the fish and a good percentage of them die within 40 days of arrival in the US.

Jay

OP
OP
U

unclepregs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seeing this now (I'm usually on the fish disease forum).

I cannot see fin damage in the video, but if it is there, you need to isolate this fish to keep it from any further damage.

How long have you had this dottyback? If less than a month, there is another issue common to this species - these fish hide in the reef and are very difficult to catch. Divers resort to using cyanide to drive them out of the coral (awful practice!). This allows the divers to net them, but it can cause latent damage in the fish and a good percentage of them die within 40 days of arrival in the US.

Jay
I’ve had the fish for about 6 weeks. It’s been doing great but the coral beauty has been chasing and is semi aggressive. I don’t think it’s due to the way the fish was potentially caught. The dottyback has a couple spots to chill and not be bothered and I thought things were starting to cool down between the two but that’s not the case.

Body looks bruised. I am not able to run a hospital tank like I thought I could. Just have nowhere to set it up due to living in a smaller space. Is there anything I can do to medicate in the DT potentially? Pretty bummed and I don’t want the fish to suffer. I used a divider to keep the fish separated for the time being.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the fish for about 6 weeks. It’s been doing great but the coral beauty has been chasing and is semi aggressive. I don’t think it’s due to the way the fish was potentially caught. The dottyback has a couple spots to chill and not be bothered and I thought things were starting to cool down between the two but that’s not the case.

Body looks bruised. I am not able to run a hospital tank like I thought I could. Just have nowhere to set it up due to living in a smaller space. Is there anything I can do to medicate in the DT potentially? Pretty bummed and I don’t want the fish to suffer. I used a divider to keep the fish separated for the time being.
six weeks is still inside the mortality window for cyanide, but the rapid breathing is not a key symptom for that, and of course, neither is the fin damage.

Just keep it isolated and try to get it to eat.

Jay

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back