Splitting cabbage leather

FraggleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a cabbage leather coral about a month ago from my LFS. Unfortunately, I did not notice a small cut on one side of the stalk until I got it home. The cut has expanded and to add insult to injury, aphasia has taken up residence on the same stalk. My question, would it be possible to frag this coral by cutting the head from the stalk. The tissue from the head seems healthy.

c_leather.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be less problematic to remove the Apitasia from the coral. If the colony were larger I would say go for it. They are pretty hardy corals.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do anything to not have aiptasia. I drained my 180 gallon tank down about 1.5 years ago because it was totally taken over by them. Not worth 1 coral in my opinion.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cut it off the rock and put it onto another. Cabbage leather if very hardy and does not need much light or flow until larger. I have pieces I found in my sump with no light after years. Good luck.
Oh, do this in another container so aiptasia does not spread. Then rinse really well with lugols or another container then add back.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back