Splitting Frozen Food Cubes

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We ran out of Reef Frenzy and are now using cubes from petco. It’ll be nice when we have enough fish to just feed a whole cube, but for now...

We just use the thick frenzy bag, throw a cube in, and with a hard quick mash on regular table knife break it up into smaller chunks, thaw in DI water in a shot glass. We keep the bag in the freezer even when empty just to keep it “clean.”

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope everyone that thaws and refeezes, is thawing in the frig and not on the counter? As a head chef(and well versed in food safety), food thawed on the counter, will start to grow bad bacteria within hours. Your supposed to thaw food under refrigeration(if not being cooked) for several days.

While I'm not sure what bacteria are"bad", but I don't think I would want to feed them to my fish.

I'm sure it's fine if using right away, but I would not be thawing on the counter and refreezing.
Human food safety and animal/fish food safety are not the same. 15 years in the restaurant biz, and I was ServeSafe certified at one point, so I get where you are coming from, but it is not the same for animals. They eat rotten stuff all the time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back