Splitting Frozen Food Cubes

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people mention using pill cutters to split cubes of frozen food and I was wondering what style cutter is being used. I seem to mangle the cubes when I use a kitchen knife (PE Mysis cubes are always rock solid) so if there is a better (and safer) way I'd love to see it.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a cutting board with edges, and a large knife. I only cut my cube food into 1/3 pieces. I sharpen the knife before I cut the frozen cubes.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen people mention using pill cutters to split cubes of frozen food and I was wondering what style cutter is being used. I seem to mangle the cubes when I use a kitchen knife (PE Mysis cubes are always rock solid) so if there is a better (and safer) way I'd love to see itP

Mysis cubes are the hardest clean cut...

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your fish not eat if the mysis has been out for a day?
Thaw all, 1/2 today, the rest tomorrow.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people mention using pill cutters to split cubes of frozen food and I was wondering what style cutter is being used. I seem to mangle the cubes when I use a kitchen knife (PE Mysis cubes are always rock solid) so if there is a better (and safer) way I'd love to see it.
A razor blade and kitchen counter. Just make sure to cut straight down and not side ways thru your finger that’s holding the cube. This is pretty easy

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to shave it of with a knife let it thaw a bit then add it to my tank.I have had good results and I never wash or clean them I have many mouths in my tank and they like to take care of the leftovers.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large 14" chef knife on a cutting board. Cuts them suckers right cleanly in half.

FWIW, for the price, you get way more "meat" in flat packs then you do the cubes, and they are way easier to break a small piece off.

Cubes are convenient, but the flat packs are way more economically sensible.

lazlodawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy a variety of frozen foods and defrost a bunch at once. I mix it and re-freeze into 1cm square silicone food grade ice cube trays. That way I give a mix of foods at each feeding and have better consistency and control over portion size. Also no cutting! Here is what I bought.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope everyone that thaws and refeezes, is thawing in the frig and not on the counter? As a head chef(and well versed in food safety), food thawed on the counter, will start to grow bad bacteria within hours. Your supposed to thaw food under refrigeration(if not being cooked) for several days.

While I'm not sure what bacteria are"bad", but I don't think I would want to feed them to my fish.

I'm sure it's fine if using right away, but I would not be thawing on the counter and refreezing.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all knife works. Use one with smooth profile. Bigger ones are better as you won’t cut yourself. Avoid thin blades they can snap in lower temperatures

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make enough for a couple of days. Thaw my frozen foods in tank water And keep it in the fridge in little Tupperware’s. I feed with a pediatric medicine dropper.
Blue top container is LRS Reef Frenzy “Nano” and green top container is fish eggs, live Phytoplankton and CoralVite.
680F35F8-B188-449C-974A-EE5DC4BEDA95.jpeg

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dethaw the whole cube in my feeder pvc tube i made and tweezer out some into a urine sample cup with lid and put in the fridge for next feed.
D
I also thaw cubes of food in a urine sample cup and then refrigerate and reuse any leftovers. I thaw enough food for a couple of days.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually leave them frozen and scrape it off the cube let it thaw a bit and add some to my tank and I put the knife in the freezer I do not use a full cube and I only add a small amount each time over a few hours.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back