Sponge on clam shell?

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20211009_222502.jpg

Have had for 6 months now has been growing and looks happy. Recently saw this on shell and am not sure if I should remove and if so how or leave as is.

Thank you.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture is at night with flashlight really hard to see during day.... incase anyone was wandering

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appear you actually have two sponges. One is the much larger area of material with the porous surface with the larger out flow openings. Buried in the middle of that is a diminutive "pineapple" sponge. It is brighter white with what looks like little furry spikes. I have had zero luck getting rid of sponges so I learned love'm and live with'm.
I will follow along in case some one else has a sure fire way of removing sponges.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely remove that sponge. It appears to be growing on both sides of its shell. It will suffocate it before long. Gently scrub it off with a toothbrush while holding a syphon above to suck up the waste. Sponges grow quickly and shouldn't be allowed to encroach on other creatures.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely remove that sponge. It appears to be growing on both sides of its shell. It will suffocate it before long. Gently scrub it off with a toothbrush while holding a syphon above to suck up the waste. Sponges grow quickly and shouldn't be allowed to encroach on other creatures.
I can actually take out the clam and it's base pretty easy so I will remove it, just usually don't remove stuff unless it is harming something else.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can actually take out the clam and it's base pretty easy so I will remove it, just usually don't remove stuff unless it is harming something else.
I agree. I generally leave sponges. In this case it is necessary to remove it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back