Sponge?

argiBK

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 3, 2020
Messages
715
Reaction score
694
Location
Brooklyn, NY
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mystery - 1.jpeg


These white, spiky protrusions (to the bottom right of the cleaner shrimp) just appeared overnight in my tank. The closest thing I can identify it as might be a pink sponge, especially with sponge on the underside of the rock.

Can anyone confirm? Otherwise, any clue what it could be? Thanks!
 
Probably a sponge, maybe a pineapple?
 
I've got pineapples in other places in the tank, none of them look like these. The one on the far bottom right is especially long.
 
I've got pineapples in other places in the tank, none of them look like these. The one on the far bottom right is especially long.
Ya I agree they look longer. Are they soft? Do they react to touch?
 
They're definitely soft and bendable. Little to no reaction to being disturbed, so I am guessing a sponge of some sort.
 
Its poriferan sponge and a moderate grower. Not necessarily a filter feeder but ornamental. If it becomes a nuisance, you can trim it, inject via syringe air orr vinegar.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new