Spotlight on BRS 2-Part Additives | BRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R!

Today we are following up last week's Kalkwasser Spotlight with a highlight of the BRS 2-part additives, specifically the latest addition of the pre-portioned single use pouches! :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Easy as pie!

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the new 5 packs of the 1 gallon mix. I bought the starter pack for my tank so I haven't gone through all of yet but I was wishing I could just buy 1 gallon mixes instead of having to measure from a bulk package, because I'm lazy.

MikeO5422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video, a few questions. I am finding that I am dosing enough to impact my ATO and therefore my salinity increases over time. With that, 1 - do you have any recommendations for dealing with that? 2 - Can you make double doses of ALK and/or Calc solutions and dose half the amount?

Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video, a few questions. I am finding that I am dosing enough to impact my ATO and therefore my salinity increases over time. With that, 1 - do you have any recommendations for dealing with that? 2 - Can you make double doses of ALK and/or Calc solutions and dose half the amount?

Thanks!

Note: altering the concentration doesn't solve (or even change) the salinity rise issue, if that is the intent. It is inherent to the use of two parts and Balling methods.

The alk part of most two parts is close to the solubility limit and likely cannot be doubled without risk of it not dissolving and/or precipitating if it cools much from when mixing.
Calcium probably can be doubled in concentration if you really want.

One easy way to deal with the salinity rise is just to remove some tank water and let an ATO replace it (or add fresh when you remove it).

TBear47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per your instructions, I now need more product to achieve the same results as before. It's obvious the product's concentration is lower now. The bottom line, the price went up.

dimo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per your instructions, I now need more product to achieve the same results as before. It's obvious the product's concentration is lower now. The bottom line, the price went up.

Not gonna argue that the price went up a bit, because it did.

But I read somewhere that based on weight it’s the exact same amount your using. New one (the soda ash) is less dense so you need more volume. Being less dense means it mixes quicker into the water.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

True, the mixing instructions call for a bit more material than before due to the newer materials being less dense than the previous. Because it is less dense, but provided in the same weight as the previous chemicals, you essentially get more material by volume. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back