Spotted mandarin fin issue.

chadloomis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this spotted mandarin for months now. This past week I’ve noticed it’s fins (the perching fins) and the lower portion of its tail are almost gone. Only other inhabitants are snails crabs a brittle star and a melanurus wrasse. I’ve watched the wrasse both closely and from afar and it’s honestly paid zero attention to my mandarin. It’s swimming just fine and eating like a pig and really acts like nothing is wrong. Noticed the fin issue one day like it popped up overnight. Only spot that seems like it may be getting worse is the tail. Thanks in advanced for any insight and help!

1E956329-FD97-4DEF-A9B1-0B85D228B085.jpeg 32F55BD7-AF7B-457E-ABE7-13F46FE2498C.jpeg B9D54DA6-9400-4924-B8BA-45FAE405A789.jpeg 83CE2513-ADA6-4A60-8DE4-3029B3560D7E.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks very much like an aggression issue and easy suspect is the wrasse

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any easy way to fix aside from removing the wrasse? Not only is it a pretty fish but it’s been picking at my flat worms non stop.
One great thing about saltwater fish is their ability to heal and heal quickly on their own. As long as the mandarin is not picked on, it will heal. If not, you may have to place wrasse in an acclimation box or sump temporarily.

OP
OP
C

chadloomis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One great thing about saltwater fish is their ability to heal and heal quickly on their own. As long as the mandarin is not picked on, it will heal. If not, you may have to place wrasse in an acclimation box or sump temporarily.
Thanks for the ideas! I’ll try and keep a closer eye on everyone and possibly use an acclimation box if it continues.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this spotted mandarin for months now. This past week I’ve noticed it’s fins (the perching fins) and the lower portion of its tail are almost gone. Only other inhabitants are snails crabs a brittle star and a melanurus wrasse. I’ve watched the wrasse both closely and from afar and it’s honestly paid zero attention to my mandarin. It’s swimming just fine and eating like a pig and really acts like nothing is wrong. Noticed the fin issue one day like it popped up overnight. Only spot that seems like it may be getting worse is the tail. Thanks in advanced for any insight and help!

1E956329-FD97-4DEF-A9B1-0B85D228B085.jpeg 32F55BD7-AF7B-457E-ABE7-13F46FE2498C.jpeg B9D54DA6-9400-4924-B8BA-45FAE405A789.jpeg 83CE2513-ADA6-4A60-8DE4-3029B3560D7E.jpeg
I’m not convinced this is due to aggression by a fish - for a bottom dwelling fish like this, the lower fins would NOT be a primary target for an aggressive fish- they would target the closest part of the fish to them - the top.
I think this is either a primary bacterial infection, or something in the substrate is biting the fins. There is a species of copepod that acts as micro predators in aquariums.
Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m not convinced this is due to aggression by a fish - for a bottom dwelling fish like this, the lower fins would NOT be a primary target for an aggressive fish- they would target the closest part of the fish to them - the top.
I think this is either a primary bacterial infection, or something in the substrate is biting the fins. There is a species of copepod that acts as micro predators in aquariums.
Jay
I saw the tail, and missed the pectorals. . . Hmmmm

OP
OP
C

chadloomis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Any recommendations?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations?
Tough to handle issues with mandarins as they don’t do well in treatment tanks. You could try short term antibiotic baths for 3 hours in a bucket with a heater and an air stone each day for 5 days. I usually double the antibiotic dose since the treatment time is shortened. You could se neoplex plus furan-2 or Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2
Jay

OP
OP
C

chadloomis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to handle issues with mandarins as they don’t do well in treatment tanks. You could try short term antibiotic baths for 3 hours in a bucket with a heater and an air stone each day for 5 days. I usually double the antibiotic dose since the treatment time is shortened. You could se neoplex plus furan-2 or Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2
Jay
Thanks I’ll look into these!

shar_zard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? my mandarin seems to have the same problem, I actually though it was going to die because it stopped eating for a day but then it kinda recovered and now for last couple days it eats pods all day long.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any updates? my mandarin seems to have the same problem, I actually though it was going to die because it stopped eating for a day but then it kinda recovered and now for last couple days it eats pods all day long.
Can you provide any pics under white lighting ?

OP
OP
C

chadloomis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. It stayed stable for a long time but almost seems like it’s getting a little worse. Little dude (or duddette) just eats all day. I don’t see anything going after it at all. Wish I had better news for you.

Back