Springeri Damsel compatible with Royal Gramma?

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that springeri are peaceful. I'm wondering if they're compatible with a Royal Gramma? I've read a few posts where Royal Gramma attacked them. My tank is fairly small (20 long).

Finally saw a springeri in person and was really impressed with the color. Wondering if this is usually ok, usually not ok, or a toss up situation.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a toss up, who knows? springeri is the most peaceful "of damsels", but its still a damsel. RG is normally timid and peaceful, I think the aggressive ones are rare. If the RG is in the tank first it might work, but in my experience, a damsel will claim a 20 gallon tank to itself if its the first in.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 RG's and just added 3 springeri and I just picked up 2 more(in QT) springeri yesterday. I have had zero problems with mixing them.
But, I do have the true springeri. There are 2 types that they sell. One has more black spots, that is not the true type.

Edit; I have a 75 gallon and lots of hiding spots.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a springer last with 12 other fish such as 6 line, dottyback, firefish, others wrasses, blennys.... I have had no issues now since the reef vetted him and approved his membership in the neighborhood.

OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 RG's and just added 3 springeri and I just picked up 2 more(in QT) springeri yesterday. I have had zero problems with mixing them.
But, I do have the true springeri. There are 2 types that they sell. One has more black spots, that is not the true type.

Edit; I have a 75 gallon and lots of hiding spots.

Yeah I've read about the two variants and would strongly prefer the "true" version. I'm not sure how to guarantee that though. I've read the two look the same as juveniles and the black marks come later if it's not a "true" springeri.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a springeri damsel in with a pair of percula clowns, firefish, watchman, and a cave goby. Model citizen, pretty much ignores the other fish. I also have a royal grammar in QT I'm getting ready to add to the mix.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've read about the two variants and would strongly prefer the "true" version. I'm not sure how to guarantee that though. I've read the two look the same as juveniles and the black marks come later if it's not a "true" springeri.
The first thing I see is the dotted line down the lateral line. Then I see a blue streak looking down on the fish above the eye. Not sure if that's how to tell but so far so good.

OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading some more I think I'm actually going to go with a Kupang / Azure Damselfish. Seems to be just as community friendly as the Springeri but don't have to roll the dice on what it looks like when it matures. If I was more confident I could distinguish juvenile springeri types I'd probably stick with springri but I'm not crazy about the "non true" color morph. Plus I'm probably going to have to ask someone to special order the fish or buy online so won't necessarily have the option to compare juveniles in advance.

Last edited:

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sort of similar, but I added a Strawberry Basslet (known to be demons) after some established wrasses, springeris, and Azures with no problems. Might be completely different adding Springeri after an established Basslet. I love them enough to try it through.

TarheelGrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32gal Cube. I started with 2 clowns. Added a Royal Gramma and Lawnmower. Then Spingeri and Firefish. My Gramma is the most aggressive fish in my tank. Chases the damsel around, but nothing more than that. Leaves all the other fish alone. Tried to intimidate the clowns, but they just looked at her and didn't care. I was told the true Springeri will turn black when a little stressed. The false one stays the same color.

OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading some more I think I'm actually going to go with a Kupang / Azure Damselfish. Seems to be just as community friendly as the Springeri but don't have to roll the dice on what it looks like when it matures. If I was more confident I could distinguish juvenile springeri types I'd probably stick with springri but I'm not crazy about the "non true" color morph. Plus I'm probably going to have to ask someone to special order the fish or buy online so won't necessarily have the option to compare juveniles in advance.
The Kupang has really grown on me. I think I like the look of it from a few feet back even more than I do in some of the online photos that are zoomed in. He adds a lot of movement to the tank as he's an active swimmer.

I've had the Kupang in the 20L with 2 clowns and my Royal Gramma for several weeks now. At first everybody hung out together, but now seeing a bit of a territory dispute between the Kupang and RG. I think they want the same cave even though there is another cave available. The tuxedo urchin likes that cave too so interested to see how things go.

I haven't seen any actual harm done, the Kupang just charges at the RG and he flashes back into his cave. I haven't seen the need to intervene. Before adding the Kupang the Gramma was out a good portion of the day but now hides most of the day which is annoying because it's my favorite fish. Hoping that reverts back after the two sort out the territory thing.

OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not work out. Kupang is bagged and about to take back to the fish shop.

I noticed today the RG was missing part of his tail. Further, the Kupang has essentially stalked him all day as I watched. When I saw him attempt to jump the RG from behind multiple times in quick succession I decided to pull the plug.

I had noticed they were not getting a long for about a week, but seemed to be chasing only until today. RG had ceased hiding and was standing his ground. Whenever the Kupang charged, the RG would flare his teeth and take a defensive stance. Kupang would back down then try again shortly later.

That said I've seen this duo working fine in bigger tanks. I think in my case, a 20 long just isn't enough space for them to cohabitate happily. Seems like sites are saying this is the min tank size for the Kupang, but some recommend 50 gallons. Watching it move, I can see why. It's a much more active swimmer than the clowns or RG. I think it will be happier in a larger tank where it can have sufficient territory. I think the "semi-aggressive" title that LiveAquaria assigns it is valid for this one. I was too quick to consider the Springeri and Kupang as equally peaceful. Had my RG been fully grown instead of a juvenile maybe that would have made a difference.

I plan to move up to around 120 in year or two. When I do that I may try one again. That is unless I decide to roll the dice on getting a "true" springeri.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both in my 34g with no issues.

Total stock list:
2 x onyx Picasso percs
Royal gramma
Springerii damsel
Purple firefish
Smiths blenny
Yellow watchman
Yellow half barred cave goby

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not work out. Kupang is bagged and about to take back to the fish shop.

I noticed today the RG was missing part of his tail. Further, the Kupang has essentially stalked him all day as I watched. When I saw him attempt to jump the RG from behind multiple times in quick succession I decided to pull the plug.

I had noticed they were not getting a long for about a week, but seemed to be chasing only until today. RG had ceased hiding and was standing his ground. Whenever the Kupang charged, the RG would flare his teeth and take a defensive stance. Kupang would back down then try again shortly later.

That said I've seen this duo working fine in bigger tanks. I think in my case, a 20 long just isn't enough space for them to cohabitate happily. Seems like sites are saying this is the min tank size for the Kupang, but some recommend 50 gallons. Watching it move, I can see why. It's a much more active swimmer than the clowns or RG. I think it will be happier in a larger tank where it can have sufficient territory. I think the "semi-aggressive" title that LiveAquaria assigns it is valid for this one. I was too quick to consider the Springeri and Kupang as equally peaceful. Had my RG been fully grown instead of a juvenile maybe that would have made a difference.

I plan to move up to around 120 in year or two. When I do that I may try one again. That is unless I decide to roll the dice on getting a "true" springeri.
I have a royal gramma and a yellow tailed damsel without any problems. The damsel was added last and the gramma was about full grown.

OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a royal gramma and a yellow tailed damsel without any problems. The damsel was added last and the gramma was about full grown.
Yep, saw you said that earlier which is why I was optimistic haha. Yellow Tail is supposed to be more aggressive than Kupang so maybe your RG being fully grown makes a difference, or the mix of other fish, or just luck haha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back