SPS acro color question

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have been researching your post and I think you may be on to something here. I have 10 fish and do heavy in heavy out typically so I keep a good amount of nutrients in the water. I was dosing AB plus twice a week and benepets once a week so amino acids going into the tank 3x per week. Internet search shows that over dosing amino may brown up some SPS which is probably why I'm seeing a little color fade here and there. I think I'm going to cut way back for a month and just rely on fish fertilizer and see what happens with the color.
Feed the fish not the corals has always worked well for me.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to do this for a month maybe two and see how things react with no coral supplements.
I’m having same issue and I have been thinking about stopping redsea ab+ aswell. I dose 30ml a day into 250 gallon system. A lot of my sps have either gone pale or very dark. My nitrates are 32 and phophates .09

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having same issue and I have been thinking about stopping redsea ab+ aswell. I dose 30ml a day into 250 gallon system. A lot of my sps have either gone pale or very dark. My nitrates are 32 and phophates .09
I have been researching it and actually there is an old article from Randy where he states a possible side effect from overdose aminos is browning. I'm going to try without for a month

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching it and actually there is an old article from Randy where he states a possible side effect from overdose aminos is browning. I'm going to try without for a month
I will also turn off my doser starting today for 1 month. I’m thinking I won’t see a difference but I hope.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have been researching your post and I think you may be on to something here. I have 10 fish and do heavy in heavy out typically so I keep a good amount of nutrients in the water. I was dosing AB plus twice a week and benepets once a week so amino acids going into the tank 3x per week. Internet search shows that over dosing amino may brown up some SPS which is probably why I'm seeing a little color fade here and there. I think I'm going to cut way back for a month and just rely on fish fertilizer and see what happens with the color.
Sorry, missed your post.

Now, I'm no biologist or biochemist, but my understanding is that Coral exhibit colours as a means of absorbing wavelengths that benefit the zooxanthellae biologically so that they can provide nutrition to the coral, and then the coral provides them with a nice cosy home :)

If the level of nutrients in the water is enough to provide direct energy to the coral, the zoox brown up to prevent absorbtion of light as they are no longer required to provide nutrition to the coral.

If you think back 7-8 years when ULNS was all the rage, the idea was to starve the coral, forcing the zoox to provide most of the nutrition, so they had to exhibit bright colours in order to absorb as much energy as possible. Aminos were added to provide to the coral what the zoox did not.

So, if there are enough nutrients in the water, addition of more aminos will cause the coral to shut down a little and to brown up.

That's my understanding of the thoughts at the time, and most of the Amino product were developed during the ULNS 'phase' :)

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, missed your post.

Now, I'm no biologist or biochemist, but my understanding is that Coral exhibit colours as a means of absorbing wavelengths that benefit the zooxanthellae biologically so that they can provide nutrition to the coral, and then the coral provides them with a nice cosy home :)

If the level of nutrients in the water is enough to provide direct energy to the coral, the zoox brown up to prevent absorbtion of light as they are no longer required to provide nutrition to the coral.

If you think back 7-8 years when ULNS was all the rage, the idea was to starve the coral, forcing the zoox to provide most of the nutrition, so they had to exhibit bright colours in order to absorb as much energy as possible. Aminos were added to provide to the coral what the zoox did not.

So, if there are enough nutrients in the water, addition of more aminos will cause the coral to shut down a little and to brown up.

That's my understanding of the thoughts at the time, and most of the Amino product were developed during the ULNS 'phase' :)
That's a great assessment and I could certainly see it applying to my situation. I doubt my trace elements are way out of range but going to do another ICP next week. I've cut off all aminos now for a month.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great assessment and I could certainly see it applying to my situation. I doubt my trace elements are way out of range but going to do another ICP next week. I've cut off all aminos now for a month.
I cut off all aminos yesterday and sent out icp test on my system and my ro water and my fresh mixed tmp salt. Let’s see if anything comes up

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jason24365

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the whole 2 inch frag faded to a slightly dull green now except the encrusted base is still bright green.

Some think the coral is transitioning to its true color now?
ill say this. i have a shades of fall colony i got and it was all red and kinda dull. its now fully green with dull red in it and their other colony at the store is still the same red as always. so many things can change. your light your height placement mixed with higher phosphates. if you dont like the change id say change placement and sew how thatt goes

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill say this. i have a shades of fall colony i got and it was all red and kinda dull. its now fully green with dull red in it and their other colony at the store is still the same red as always. so many things can change. your light your height placement mixed with higher phosphates. if you dont like the change id say change placement and sew how thatt goes
Sure that's another possibility but mine have been steady good for 6 months or more so placement and light are probably not the cause. I was trying various coral supplements though and probably over dosing aminos on a day to day weekly basis. I think that is more likely my issue so I'm going to test it by no amino dosing for a month.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just this coral. Been in its spot 3 months. It is fully encrusted to the rocks now with a 3 inch base. Nothing has changed as far as lighting and flow. My nitrates are always 10 to 17 and phosphate around .08 and elevates slightly depending on coral feeding but never above .17 now. I just checked it 5 minutes ago and it's. 09 right now. Alk was 8.8 and cal 410.
Leave the coral alone and let it be. You might be surprised to see that things get better after you leave them in the system for a while! That is the only coral showing those signs, right? Let it be! It will most likely get better. Chances are that the more you play with it the higher chances are to loose the coral by accidently hurting it! Just let it be!

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave the coral alone and let it be. You might be surprised to see that things get better after you leave them in the system for a while! That is the only coral showing those signs, right? Let it be! It will most likely get better. Chances are that the more you play with it the higher chances are to loose the coral by accidently hurting it! Just let it be!
Oh I'm not moving it or changing light but 3 bright green SPS have turned dull green so I'm experimenting to see if I was dosing to much aminos in the tank. Over dosing aminos can dull SPS.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 92 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back