SPS and All-for-Reef

harsha22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyone who uses just All-for-Reef for their SPS?
I am trying to keep things simple with SPS before getting into it. But is it even possible to just use A-F-Reef dosing for SPS?

OP
OP
harsha22

harsha22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do.
Nice. A couple of questions and really appreciate if you can advise me.
I still haven't added any corals and I am being extra careful this time before I add any. Want to start with a few softies but I want this to be an SPS tank. Right now I am dosing AFReef without the corals and my Ca is shooting up since there are no corals to consume.
So is it safe to say if I start adding SPS then the readings would stabilize?
Do you use a dosing calculator for AFReef?
How do you manage Alk and PH? - Plan to use AFReef for Alk and Brightwell PH+ for PH.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't dose if there is nothing to consume the AFR. Weekly water changes can give you what you need until you have to dose.
wait until you have corals in your tank and test weekly to see what you are consuming and in what quantities.

Once you see consumption, dose the minimum as per AFR and adjust accordingly per your weekly testing.

I started dosing 1 year in and am still at the minimum because although I have a few frags, they are small and the minimum AFR dose is enough to satisfy their needs, but again I test weekly, religiously.

Good luck

Dorsetsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the calculator to base the AFR to meet the demands of your Calcium. You can then increase the deficit of Kh with Bicarbonate.

Currently you will be consuming alkalinity at a skewed rate as the majority of your consumption with be from other processes than the calcification of corals. This will obviously change in time.

I wouldn’t use a product to boost Ph as this will likely do so by increasing Kh, so you would be double dosing.

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m dosing AFR but I’m also dosing calcium and magnesium. I’m basically using it to Keep my ALK stable and it’s not enough to keep up with CA & Mag. I have a 91g tank and tank is full with LPS and softies so it depends on your tank. Testing is key. Will be switching AFR once I’m done using all the solutions. It’s more for smaller tanks and less corals

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemicals/additives/organic are hard to read but you need to give time to work, deffenitly not an insta fix as you only postponing problems .
In my opinion:)

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use AFR in my sps dominated mixed reef and I REALLY like it. I think it's not a good idea to dose it before you need it though. If you have no hard corals in your system, then water changes should be fine. You can then start adding AFR as your demand increases. As you ramp it up, test test test.

It's a nice little supplement.

I strongly suggest getting a dosing pump. This will make it far easier to make sure you don't forget to add it.

OP
OP
harsha22

harsha22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use AFR in my sps dominated mixed reef and I REALLY like it. I think it's not a good idea to dose it before you need it though. If you have no hard corals in your system, then water changes should be fine. You can then start adding AFR as your demand increases. As you ramp it up, test test test.

It's a nice little supplement.

I strongly suggest getting a dosing pump. This will make it far easier to make sure you don't forget to add it.
Yes, I agree. Will stop dosing.

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Chrisv. Great product use it for my SPS tank.
Like was said before, if you do not have anything consuming the elements you cannot dose or numbers will just keep increasing.

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the time comes, I second getting a dosing pump. Makes it so easy

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed all for reef sps tank , but you needed to keep an eye on the end of dosing hose, clogged up very easy.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m dosing AFR but I’m also dosing calcium and magnesium. I’m basically using it to Keep my ALK stable and it’s not enough to keep up with CA & Mag. I have a 91g tank and tank is full with LPS and softies so it depends on your tank. Testing is key. Will be switching AFR once I’m done using all the solutions. It’s more for smaller tanks and less corals

Strange. I have to dose magnesium but I would think nothing in the tank can use calcium that wont use carbonate besides the occasional strontium, barium, etc. substitutes.

I use the powder for my 75 gallon.

Dorsetsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange. I have to dose magnesium but I would think nothing in the tank can use calcium that wont use carbonate besides the occasional strontium, barium, etc. substitutes.

I use the powder for my 75 gallon.
I had this issue initially, it was suggested to me it may be precipitation and to dose in a higher flow area. I followed that advice and the issue resolved itself.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back