OP
OP
Jo P White

Jo P White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your TDS should be zero. That is probably what is fueling your algae bloom. Your nutrients are low and your ALK being at 11+ and then fluctuating is most likely why your SPS is dying. Low nutrients normally has alk around 6-8 dkh. You should be testing your ALK everyday at the same time of day until you get your dosing dialed in. You can't be testing ALK once a week when you're trying to get your dosing correct. You should check the output of your RODI water and make sure the TDS is zero to rule out a TDS bump in your holding bin due to the pump transfer as you stated.

Correct your TDS, get your dosing dialed in and keep the ALK stable throughout the day/week and your corals will turn around.

EDIT: I'd also lose the glass top and make a mesh screen to keep fish in. Buy a window screen frame kit of Amazon and the clear mesh from BRS and you got yourself a top to keep fish in without hindering your lights. It will also help with gas exchange.

Thanks. I’ll order the mesh kit ASAP and testing daily for the dosing, I put to much trust in the sea chem label. Bad choice. Hopefully I can get the correct amount to get the alk at the right number.

So with my nitrates being between 5-10 I should be holding the alk at a steady number between 6-9? Just want to be sure that’s the right combination. Thanks.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ll order the mesh kit ASAP and testing daily for the dosing, I put to much trust in the sea chem label. Bad choice. Hopefully I can get the correct amount to get the alk at the right number.

So with my nitrates being between 5-10 I should be holding the alk at a steady number between 6-9? Just want to be sure that’s the right combination. Thanks.

At lest 7-9 and stable. 6 could be ok but since is so low it can quickly drop too low.

When you check your TDS out use a small clean glass container to hold enough water for your handheld to get a reading and let it run for a few minutes flushing out before taking a reading. RO/DI water will quickly absorb and things it can because it’s so pure. That’s why inline TDS meters are better, and more convenient.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS sell a nice whole kit to make mesh tops, cones with everything.

OP
OP
Jo P White

Jo P White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At lest 7-9 and stable. 6 could be ok but since is so low it can quickly drop too low.

When you check your TDS out use a small clean glass container to hold enough water for your handheld to get a reading and let it run for a few minutes flushing out before taking a reading. RO/DI water will quickly absorb and things it can because it’s so pure. That’s why inline TDS meters are better, and more convenient.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I’ve been having to learn a lot on my own, I don’t know anyone with a tank. My lfs is far and wasn’t very helpful. when I bought my set up based on what I thought was their expertise the equipment I ended up with wasn’t ideal including the wet/dry and lighting. R2R has been a big help so I’ve been learning and fixing things as I go. I appreciate the help.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back