Sps Bleaching problem.

Mr. Fancy Pants

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of those frags aren't encrusted. I personally try not to buy sps frags that aren't encrusted from the start. IME, they do much better!

What us the flow like and what is the par where they are at in your tank? Also, how old is your system? SPS like mature systems.

OP
OP
jonas helsted

jonas helsted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the par readings are atm at 150-180. top mid if afraid to go any higher i dont wanna fry the corals. giesemann also recommended not going higher.

my mp40's run at 45 % max switches between different modes via reeflink. see picture.

the system is started match 10th. ( i upgraded so mover all the old stuff over and half of the water(200L) and added some real reef rock shelfs had 275 L before. )

Skærmbillede 2016-07-20 kl. 23.27.35.png

Mr. Fancy Pants

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still a relatively new system it sounds. I honestly would wait till your systems matures more. Also, try to buy encrusted frags when you can. 150 to 180 is low but not bad.

OP
OP
jonas helsted

jonas helsted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still a relatively new system it sounds. I honestly would wait till your systems matures more. Also, try to buy encrusted frags when you can. 150 to 180 is low but not bad.

i can easy ramp it up to 300 at top 200 button and 250 mid, but would require the light at 100 % with giesemann said not to do hence i would cook them as mentioned.

but should i go after par reading it should be at 100 % i know :)

OP
OP
jonas helsted

jonas helsted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you lower the light at all?
yes i can lover it but the picture i posted is what they send me recommended for the aquarium. the could also acclimate the corals for the light. atm it run at max 50 % see picture

i guess 30 % or less is to little light :)

Mr. Fancy Pants

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their recommendation is just that, a recommendation for most users. If it were me, I'd lower the light an inch a week and try to obtain a minimum of 200 par at the sand bed with a SPS tank. Just my opinion of course. That is better than going 100% on your lights IMO

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonas helsted

jonas helsted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i want to obtain the 200 par in the bottom(with i understand i say) ill have to increase it to 100 % :) light can't be lowered since its a closed to aquarium. where they are under the glass roof 4,5 cm over the water line.

OP
OP
jonas helsted

jonas helsted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks a bunch, all those short words. :)

so keep nitrate little lower then 8ppm where it is at now .keep change water and let the time do what is has to do.. let the system mature more alt just count the looses for me putting it in to fast. ? cross fingers hoping for the best.

ramping up now wont be the choice now either even though par is low not gonna stress further.

Some of the corals still have tissue my miliporas also does fine still and stylophora, some montipora.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonas helsted

jonas helsted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a danish forum they are after My light and the light cycle. Saying its to weak and i need to ramp it up. And Thats the reason This has happent.

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all parameters are okay, check for metals. Saw this problem once before with all else normal and had metal corroding from a heater clip and had high iron. After removal of that and water changes everything came back strong.

OP
OP
jonas helsted

jonas helsted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what biopellets are u using? What coral dip? What substrate?

NP biopellets. Fauna marin coral dip. The substrate is red sea live sand ( my opinions could have been larger gains )

What are you using to test for nitrates? Also, how old is the tank?

All my testsæts are Red sea they are around a 3 quarter year old i guess. maybe a year. my tank has been running since 10 of march. but its upgraded for a 275 L to 400 whit all the rocks added new real reef rocks (shelfs) reused 200 l of old water and 200 fresh mixed salt water. corals where growing back in mid june.

the new light and corals arrived 24 and 28 of june. around there maybe bit before it started turn lately its gone really fast.
i also around there added more biopellets.

red some where biopellets could release copper to the water. just can't find the source. except for tritons Detox bottle

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back