OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a sump it's just an intank filter box it's only about 90litre 24us gallon ish. So no I don't.
1st photo when I dosed ultralife red slime remover 2nd 24hrs later
Before
DSC_2468.JPG
after
DSC_2472.JPG

Before
DSC_2467.JPG
after
DSC_2471.JPG
so it is looks a bit better tonight.
Yes it does! I wonder if your no3 rise since nothing is consuming it.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does! I wonder if your no3 rise since nothing is consuming it.
Maybe. I don't even feed that much as I only have 2 clowns and a yellow watchman, pistol shrimp and 2 hermits and abo. So bio load is low really. 5-10 nitrates is what it has been running for a long time now though. It might spikes bit if a snail has died, but normally the crabs eat that.

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. I don't even feed that much as I only have 2 clowns and a yellow watchman, pistol shrimp and 2 hermits and abo. So bio load is low really. 5-10 nitrates is what it has been running for a long time now though. It might spikes bit if a snail has died, but normally the crabs eat that.
Yeah I dont really sweat the snails dying. The no3 may not be a problem but I try for 2-4ppm and not over 5ppm, it cant hurt to lower and maintain it. I haven't ever made it to 10 before. I would definitely check the nooks and crannies in you filter areas. I have three 550pgh powerheads in my sump. One in the first chamber and 2 in the second and they all point down to prevent settling.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I dont really sweat the snails dying. The no3 may not be a problem but I try for 2-4ppm and not over 5ppm, it cant hurt to lower and maintain it. I haven't ever made it to 10 before. I would definitely check the nooks and crannies in you filter areas. I have three 550pgh powerheads in my sump. One in the first chamber and 2 in the second and they all point down to prevent settling.
I will check that thanks.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will check that thanks.
I think I have just let the cyano get to me and having to put hands in the tank, trying to blow it off the rocks and scrub them gently with a toothbrush and disturbing the balance with small water changes to replace what has been siphoned out. Has just contributed somewhat towards my issues. I have now stopped messing with lighting, I haven't even cleaned the glass this past week and have now done 2 doses of the red slime remover. Ive let the dkh come down naturally it is now at 8.2. Things are looking a little happier.

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two doses done of red slime remover, alk down to 8.2 and things are looking better. Fingers crossed
DSC_2484.JPG
DSC_2482.JPG
DSC_2483.JPG
Very nice! I have to pick up some sand today. I was able to see light from the sump through the sand this morning. I wonder where the coris wrasse is sleeping. [emoji29]

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I have to pick up some sand today. I was able to see light from the sump through the sand this morning. I wonder where the coris wrasse is sleeping. [emoji29]
I'm waiting for the cyano to completely go then I will add a little more sand, 1 because I have siphoned some out and 2 because my shrimp and goby pair have moves it all around to make a tunnel through between rocks.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic looking tank. Can i ask what you are currently running your light at (if changed) and how many hours etc? I turned mine down to 50 blue and 5 white and reduced the hours a little to help with my cyano. Which is on the decline.

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. My light is at 100% both channels. It was a month+ process for the most part ramping it up 2% a day. My blues come on at 11:45 am and turn off at 10:15 pm. The whites come on at 1:30 pm and turn off at 9:30 pm.
I am happy for you! For a minute there you were sounding like you were at a loss and unable to find a resolution. I love the dynamics of a reef tank and trying to balance all of its elements. Problem solving is likely my favorite thing to do. I just wish that it would present the problems at my convenience rather than all willy nilly. I still have some dinos in there. They look like they are on the decline. Pesky buggers still found their way back after even an inch of sand. I haven't tested po4 in a week or two. May do that today.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. My light is at 100% both channels. It was a month+ process for the most part ramping it up 2% a day. My blues come on at 11:45 am and turn off at 10:15 pm. The whites come on at 1:30 pm and turn off at 9:30 pm.
I am happy for you! For a minute there you were sounding like you were at a loss and unable to find a resolution. I love the dynamics of a reef tank and trying to balance all of its elements. Problem solving is likely my favorite thing to do. I just wish that it would present the problems at my convenience rather than all willy nilly. I still have some dinos in there. They look like they are on the decline. Pesky buggers still found their way back after even an inch of sand. I haven't tested po4 in a week or two. May do that today.
Thanks, You Really have your whites at 100 the highest I've ever had my white is 25. I'm not going to try and recreate your lighting in mine as that would be a total disaster as it would probably start off mahoosive algae Bloom that I'd regret or bleach all my corals. I'm going to rid the cyano then get back to the settings I had when at its best, colour wise in my opinion anyway.

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was rolling through old posts and thought I should point out this lil guy. It had necrosis at least two to three times. Its a tricolor granulosa this one and my myaigi tort have had tissue loss and bounced back.
inCollage_20190408_111558139.jpeg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back