SPS dieing and bleaching

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of people in this thread trying to help you, attaching a picture without any supporting information doesn’t help us help you.

Someone asked about flow, so you shared a picture of an mp60. ok... and? What mode is it running? What % of flow? How many modes do you cycle through and what frequency.

my suggestion would be to work with the people here that are taking time out of their day to try and assist you.

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching is a loss of zoox. High temperatures and intense light, or high copper or other metals, and sometimes very low no3 or po4. usually the cause.
Prior to the bleaching I noticed I was scrubbing the rocks the hair algae as you can see in the pic it Affected the whole Tank
Atmosphere

anyway I can kill the hair algae from the rocks

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of people in this thread trying to help you, attaching a picture without any supporting information doesn’t help us help you.

Someone asked about flow, so you shared a picture of an mp60. ok... and? What mode is it running? What % of flow? How many modes do you cycle through and what frequency.

my suggestion would be to work with the people here that are taking time out of their day to try and assist you.

set auto by EcoSmart live

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prior to the bleaching I noticed I was scrubbing the rocks the hair algae as you can see in the pic it Affected the whole Tank
Atmosphere

anyway I can kill the hair algae from the rocks
Try a sea urchin like a diadema. They love it. Or vibrant works good. And fluconzole but is hit or miss.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just guessing here but something is seriously off with the water, I would get an icp test done asap. Scrubbing algae off rocks is not going to kill your corals. Have you checked for stray current, years ago my corals were slowly going down hill and after checking everything people suggested I checked for voltage and it was very high. I had my wife unplug one pump at a time while I held the probes and voila it was a pump. Threw it out and within a few day I could already see things looking better. Just trying to give you another thing to check.

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just guessing here but something is seriously off with the water, I would get an icp test done asap. Scrubbing algae off rocks is not going to kill your corals. Have you checked for stray current, years ago my corals were slowly going down hill and after checking everything people suggested I checked for voltage and it was very high. I had my wife unplug one pump at a time while I held the probes and voila it was a pump. Threw it out and within a few day I could already see things looking better. Just trying to give you another thing to check.

So you don’t think cleaning the brown algae not sure what kind of gunk it was under dose rocks Prior to this everything was ok till I started cleaning the rocks

I am thinking to buy VIBRANT REEF AQUARIUM CLEANER 16OZ ALGAE CONTROL - REEF SAFE!

hoping it will clean my rocks, what you think

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used vibrant so I cant give you any advise on that but I guess it's worth a try, better than doing nothing. I might have missed it but can you post a full tank shot with lights at peak so people can get a better idea of what your actually dealing with?

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching is a loss of zoox. High temperatures and intense light, or high copper or other metals, and sometimes very low no3 or po4. usually the cause.
It is, but this is just Coral skeleton without tissue. If that was bleaching then anything that kills your corals would be bleaching. His corals aren't bleached though, there of parts of them that are just plain dead and the skeleton is exposed.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure there are not dinos on the rocks that you disturbed when you scrubbed them? Dinos can kill fish and cause a lot of issues with sps even in small amounts. Either way I don’t see anything but a few frags that died and a stylo colony that looks like it was cut up and mounted everywhere that’s dying from the base on each piece. I would just save one fragnof the stylo and cut it on a healthy spot and chuck the rest. There is probably a bacteria slowly killing that coral and it would be easier to fight it if you had just one piece to take care of. Maybe start focusing on getting the algae taken care of and the water in line and start over with the sps once the tank looks good? Or are there more sps in the tank I am not seeing? The pics are hard to see what’s going on in the tank that’s for sure.

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure there are not dinos on the rocks that you disturbed when you scrubbed them? Dinos can kill fish and cause a lot of issues with sps even in small amounts. Either way I don’t see anything but a few frags that died and a stylo colony that looks like it was cut up and mounted everywhere that’s dying from the base on each piece. I would just save one fragnof the stylo and cut it on a healthy spot and chuck the rest. There is probably a bacteria slowly killing that coral and it would be easier to fight it if you had just one piece to take care of. Maybe start focusing on getting the algae taken care of and the water in line and start over with the sps once the tank looks good? Or are there more sps in the tank I am not seeing? The pics are hard to see what’s going on in the tank that’s for sure.

Thank you for the over look dinos how will I fix that what should I do would vibrant fix the issue

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for the over look dinos how will I fix that what should I do would vibrant fix the issue

Tdoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to check for the voltage are you just putting the probs of a multi meter in the water? are you checking AC or DC?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to check for the voltage are you just putting the probs of a multi meter in the water? are you checking AC or DC?
One probe in the wall ground outlet and one in the tank water, then have someone unplug one item at a time to find the culprit if initially you get a high reading. Watch a YouTube vid.

Tdoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One probe in the wall ground outlet and one in the tank water, then have someone unplug one item at a time to find the culprit if initially you get a high reading. Watch a YouTube vid.
What was your voltage reading.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dinos from too low nurtrients, which starves SPS.. ive seen it soooooooooooooo many times. it's daily here. 90% thats your issue

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your APEX charts:

1) pH of 7.63. Probably not calibrated, but that would hurt corals.
2) A temperature swing of 5 degrees
3) Got nitrates?

My guess is your CaRx may be dumping CO2 into the effluent or leaking CO2 gas into the sump cabinet and the skimmer is injecting it into the the water. Check your chart history on pH. Keep looking backward for at least 4 weeks. Anything change?

Tdoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High it’s been a while but close to 100 if I remember correctly. Had my wife unplug one item at a time and when she unplugged a power head culprit it dropped instantly to below 5.
Thanks just checking, that could have killed you, glad you found it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back