SPS - Difference in success at start up

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve never had an SPS develop STN?

How long you in the hobby
I've never had. I am good friends with acropores. For all the time since 2008, not a single acropora has died. You can look at the event timeline of my current system launched in January.

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my take/history

2004 - 2006 -
Tank: 80 gallons
Flow: TONS of flow from 3 large power heads (don't remember the brands)
Rock: 100% live Fiji rock from Dr fosters
Lighting: MH lighting & VHO lighting.
Details: tons of sps. No casualties at all. No browning. All started with frags and grew to mini colonies. Shut the tank down after I moved far away.

2006 - 2008 -
Tank: 10 gallon zoa only tank
Tank #2: 40 gallon sps dominant tank.
Flow: one power head in my 40 gallon tank but was a hurricane.
Rock - 100% live Fiji rock from Dr fosters
Lighting: MH & T5's.
Details: 1 mili stn'd, No browning out from the rest. Frags all grew very well. Shut the tank down again... Long story but ruined my life from drugs, then JESUS rescued me!! Btw I had no idea how i kept my tanks alive while I was high on some white powder for couple years .... Sheesh... I was still disciplined in my water changes/maintenance despite the drugs.

2015 - 2019 -
Tank: 25 gallon IM lagoon.
Flow: tunze turnbell wave maker. Flow wasn't so great in my opinion.
Rock: mostly dry rock mixed with a bit of live rock from lfs.
Lighting: Kessil 160 tuna blue.
Details: Every sps would perish... Even a green slimer would brown out and perish. Except montiporas and stylos. Shut tank down after I had my first crash. Long story... Ugh. I got discouraged and quit the hobby.

2022 - (4 months old)
Tank: 10 gallon
Flow: hygger wave maker - it's like a hurricane in there.
Rock: 100% Aussie live rock from unique corals.
Lighting: kessil 160 tuna blue. Finally fixed! Bought it used..
Details: no fish. 1 rock flower anemone. 1 sunset month, 1 forest fire digi. 1 alveopora. 1 zoa frag. 1 crocea. Several nice green zoa's hitched on from Aussie rock. Tank is pretty bare even tho I listed off some stuff. It really does look bare despite corals I listed. Lots and lots of amphipods and copipods. Digi and monti is growing and looking great. Gonna get some more sps soon. So we'll see what success lies ahead. Not gonna put in any more sps until the 1 year mark.

***** To sum it up. HERE'S WHAT WAS LEARNED.
I agree with what others have said on this thread. Anytime I had good success with sps... I had:
1. Good flow, crazy flow.
2. Lighting that blinds you.
3. Maintenance like water change etc was always on point. Weekly or bi weekly.
4. ****All live rock! I noticed when I used mostly dry rock.. sps other than the easy ones never survived. I even allowed my tank to "mature" 1 year before I put in any sps. I don't know how others use dry rock and are successful with sps. That's a mystery to me..

Anywho, I may eat my words with my theory but I will try the harder sps again in my nano.. and I hope once my tank is ready that it'll grow well like they did in my other tanks.

God bless everyone! Hope that helps.

OP, it is weird that ur tank looks great and ur tests come out good too...but can't grow sps as well as you want.. very weird. But we hear about those instances all the time right?

Good luck!

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That truly is remarkable.
Dont think i’ve ever met some who hasn’t ever had at least one piece STN.

In general what’s your set up and maintenance like?

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my take/history

2004 - 2006 -
Tank: 80 gallons
Flow: TONS of flow from 3 large power heads (don't remember the brands)
Rock: 100% live Fiji rock from Dr fosters
Lighting: MH lighting & VHO lighting.
Details: tons of sps. No casualties at all. No browning. All started with frags and grew to mini colonies. Shut the tank down after I moved far away.

2006 - 2008 -
Tank: 10 gallon zoa only tank
Tank #2: 40 gallon sps dominant tank.
Flow: one power head in my 40 gallon tank but was a hurricane.
Rock - 100% live Fiji rock from Dr fosters
Lighting: MH & T5's.
Details: 1 mili stn'd, No browning out from the rest. Frags all grew very well. Shut the tank down again... Long story but ruined my life from drugs, then JESUS rescued me!! Btw I had no idea how i kept my tanks alive while I was high on some white powder for couple years .... Sheesh... I was still disciplined in my water changes/maintenance despite the drugs.

2015 - 2019 -
Tank: 25 gallon IM lagoon.
Flow: tunze turnbell wave maker. Flow wasn't so great in my opinion.
Rock: mostly dry rock mixed with a bit of live rock from lfs.
Lighting: Kessil 160 tuna blue.
Details: Every sps would perish... Even a green slimer would brown out and perish. Except montiporas and stylos. Shut tank down after I had my first crash. Long story... Ugh. I got discouraged and quit the hobby.

2022 - (4 months old)
Tank: 10 gallon
Flow: hygger wave maker - it's like a hurricane in there.
Rock: 100% Aussie live rock from unique corals.
Lighting: kessil 160 tuna blue. Finally fixed! Bought it used..
Details: no fish. 1 rock flower anemone. 1 sunset month, 1 forest fire digi. 1 alveopora. 1 zoa frag. 1 crocea. Several nice green zoa's hitched on from Aussie rock. Tank is pretty bare even tho I listed off some stuff. It really does look bare despite corals I listed. Lots and lots of amphipods and copipods. Digi and monti is growing and looking great. Gonna get some more sps soon. So we'll see what success lies ahead. Not gonna put in any more sps until the 1 year mark.

***** To sum it up. HERE'S WHAT WAS LEARNED.
I agree with what others have said on this thread. Anytime I had good success with sps... I had:
1. Good flow, crazy flow.
2. Lighting that blinds you.
3. Maintenance like water change etc was always on point. Weekly or bi weekly.
4. ****All live rock! I noticed when I used mostly dry rock.. sps other than the easy ones never survived. I even allowed my tank to "mature" 1 year before I put in any sps. I don't know how others use dry rock and are successful with sps. That's a mystery to me..

Anywho, I may eat my words with my theory but I will try the harder sps again in my nano.. and I hope once my tank is ready that it'll grow well like they did in my other tanks.

God bless everyone! Hope that helps.

OP, it is weird that ur tank looks great and ur tests come out good too...but can't grow sps as well as you want.. very weird. But we hear about those instances all the time right?

Good luck!
So flow, flow, flow….

Lights that blaze.. Check
Tons of true Live rock… Check

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That truly is remarkable.
Dont think i’ve ever met some who hasn’t ever had at least one piece STN.

In general what’s your set up and maintenance like?
If this question is for me..
I currently have just a aio nano uns 10 gallon. Never tried to grow sps in a nano other than a 25 gallon and 40 gallon.
Weekly 30 percent water changes, testing every month and dosing manually. This was my usual maintenance in the past. It was very very simple manual setup. No automation existed almost 20 years ago...
Btw I did have a 1 piece rtn in my 40. And no sps survived in my 25 other than easy sps.
The 80 gallon is the one that I never had any rtns. That setup was ur basic tank/sump setup.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back