SPS frags turned brownish Is this normal

joeyrm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a 4 year old mixed sps/lps reef and the parameters are stable and within guidelines. I run about 5 Nitrate and low PO4.

Until now, I've really only added colonies but recently, as many of us do, I have added higher end sps frags. Aside form the frags, all of corals are well colored and growing well, the frags however have turned brown. Its been about 6 weeks and I am starting to see some color on some of them. Is this normal, how long should it take for them to color up or what can I do to help them? thanks

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have a specific number for phosphate? Are you seeing any new growth on the frags?

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most newly received frag turn brown because it was dark for 15hrs that trigger the Coral reaction to lack of light and their reaction is to produce more zoozanthalee to get more photosynthesis. The zoozanthalee algae color is brown that's why your coral turn brown. Give it a few weeks with adequate light and good quality water then your coral should color back some might take longer.

OP
OP
J

joeyrm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually have .001-.002 po4. I have polyp extension but not much color. Can this last over a month and still be viable?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they were shipped and added to a new tank, then it is normal for them to turn brown and then start to get color in 6 weeks. If they are progressing, then I would not sweat it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back