Sps getting white tips. Normal?

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just started trying to keep sps in my tank. I started by getting my parameters where i wanted and maintained them stable by dosing using seachem fusion. My cal is 440 alk is 8.6 and mag is 1440. Nitrates is 5 and po4 is reading as zero. When i bought these sps frags they where fully colored but now im noticing white tips on only a few branches and not all of the sps have them. Is this normal?

20190514_204356.jpg

20190514_204320.jpg

Vu Nguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happen to me when I over use gfo to reduce phosphate to slow down algae growth.
I end killing lot of sps and I will never use gfo again.
Now I use turf algae scrubber and no more burn tip on sps.

OP
OP
J

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happen to me when I over use gfo to reduce phosphate to slow down algae growth.
I end killing lot of sps and I will never use gfo again.
Now I use turf algae scrubber and no more burn tip on sps.
Thank you for this i will tske my gfo out i was currently mixing it in my carbon canister

bobby.w.hodges

Wet Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But wouldnt sll the tips be white? Or is it normal for just a few of the many branches to show growth.
Depends on how it's growing, if all sps grew at the same rate they would look like a big ball. Some branches grow fatter than others.

The conclusion that gfo is bleaching your sps should be backed up with testing evidence.

OP
OP
J

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how it's growing, if all sps grew at the same rate they would look like a big ball. Some branches grow fatter than others.

The conclusion that gfo is bleaching your sps should be backed up with testing evidence.
Its easy enough to test the theory be removing it and if the tips re color up then i have my answer

OP
OP
J

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal opinion is to not alter the entire tank chemistry to do a test, that's my point. If ask other coral looks happy, i would trust it. In my experience when phosphate is actually zero, lps will be closed, no polyps, everything will look mad.
Ok i appreciate your input. I may have to just bite the bullet and buy the hanna tester.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back