SPS going into a 5 month old tank?

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180gal that's been set up for 5 months. Mostly dead rock to start, but I did have a few pieces of live rock to add. I'm running Zeovit in this system.

I already have a large Jedi monti doing well I put in about 6 weeks ago. It looked faded for a couple weeks, but now is back to the bright green, red and purple. I have a neon green birds nest growing like crazy in there as well.

I have a 34 gal frag tank that is about 1.5 years old and I have been fighting it like crazy. Had dino's, about killed everything trying to fight the dino's, then my inkbird temp monitor went wacko and the water was 70 degrees for several days (or more, not 100% sure).

Got past most of that with maybe half my frags surviving, included a WD acro and a few other nice pieces from WWC. Frag tank was back to normal.

Yesterday I came home and dino's were back in the frag tank and it looked like crap again.

I took out about 5-6 pieces of SPS I have, dipped them in a coral dip, then tossed them into my 180gal. I figure they have a better chance of survival than in this small frag tank that I can not keep stable.

I guess we'll find out.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably right at the edge at 5 months but if your struggling with your frag tank probably a good move.. just for grins I put my first stick in at 6 months and it’s doing great. my tank was started with fresh ocean aquacultured rock and it has substantial Coraline growth.

I also had a inkbird fail and tank dropped to 72 before I caught it :mad: partially my fault because I became complacent after a year or so of the inkbird working flawlessly.

OP
OP
AtlCPA

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably right at the edge at 5 months but if your struggling with your frag tank probably a good move.. just for grins I put my first stick in at 6 months and it’s doing great. my tank was started with fresh ocean aquacultured rock and it has substantial Coraline growth.

I also had a inkbird fail and tank dropped to 72 before I caught it :mad: partially my fault because I became complacent after a year or so of the inkbird working flawlessly.

Glad you're having success and good to know.

I'm not sure what i'm going to do with my frag tank. It's really become more of a pain than it's worth. I still have a few things in there, but I'm thinking of going a different direction with that tank. Either shut it down or do something like a clown harem.

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you're having success and good to know.

I'm not sure what i'm going to do with my frag tank. It's really become more of a pain than it's worth. I still have a few things in there, but I'm thinking of going a different direction with that tank. Either shut it down or do something like a clown harem.

Is plumbing it into your 180’s system an option? Be a lot easier to maintain that way.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back