Sps gone!!

Ayzel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my sps are dying ...Monday evening a couple of my most hardy sps turned white over the span of 24hrs. Even my large monti cap has some dead spots on a couple of places. This is the second water change that I have used the used Fritz blue box to do a water change, and the only thing I can think of that probably
f:mad::mad::mad:’ed them up was when I was dosing bacteria: I added some to the tank, normally I add all of the dose to the overflow. Another thing I started using as of 1.5 week ago was a used bottle of PolypLab polyp-booster.
Weird thing is not all sticks are turning white, there is my birds nest, greenslimer, unknown plating sps, and a green goblin anacapora that are ok as of now. Chalices and a sunrise monti that are on that same rock with the deceased sticks are doing great and no signs of distress, lps and fungia are fine extending their polyps during lights out.
The reason I started to use the fritz was to get my mag to a normal level. Bacteria I have dosed every week, seed or remediation.
After the water change, I checked alk and it was at 8.792, Ca was at 400. Phosphate right now reads at 0.00.
...sigh....

66B58E6D-C48D-43A3-B732-3F0AAAADE8EE.jpeg B7EB9A14-E8CE-4D74-8217-F341C45447DC.jpeg AE93283A-D99D-4879-8F3B-307490574C6B.jpeg 26CF3056-48FC-4187-B189-44EB12513CF9.jpeg

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read reports about how switching over to fritz ruined an established setup but also read posts about how fritz wasn't to blame. But your anecdotal evidence seems to weigh in the side of the former.

I always wondered if it's a combination of the salt and other additives. Perhaps the salt you're using also introduces elements at a high enough level that you're normal routine of adding certain elements or aminos boost them to dangerous levels. Of coarse that's just my theory, not even a well thought out one.

What bacteria are you using? I had an issue with Dr. Tims eco balance and waste away. I was adding the recommended doses, altering them every week and noticed some tissue recession on my sps, they were not happy. I stopped adding bacteria altogether to allow my corals to come back (and they eventually did). And from that hard lesson, I currently only add 1/2 the recommended dose and still achieve the desired goal. I'm sure that too much of any bottled bacteria is a bad thing, and quite possibly be the root of your issue.

OP
OP
Ayzel1

Ayzel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bacteria are you using? I had an issue with Dr. Tims eco balance and waste away. I was adding the recommended doses, altering them every week and noticed some tissue recession on my sps, they were not happy. I stopped adding bacteria altogether to allow my corals to come back (and they eventually did). And from that hard lesson, I currently only add 1/2 the recommended dose and still achieve the desired goal. I'm sure that too much of any bottled bacteria is a bad thing, and quite possibly be the root of your issue.
I use Aquavitro seed when I do water changes, and the following week I dose Aquavitro Remediation, cleaner bacteria like DrTims waste away.
I know that a while back some reefers we’re having issues with Fritz, but my understanding is that they fixed those issues.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is this tank/system?
Based on what you've said so far I would say this is a stability issue.
In order to keep SPS you need to take things WAY slower than you are.
Changing parameters is stressful to SPS, and changes kill them when they're stressed.
So it's really not to hard to start the "perfect storm" (if there is one).

Let's say that you dose a bacteria that your SPS don't like (do you know what's in the bottle? I sure don't), then a few days later decide that MAG is low and work to correct it, BOOM - RTN.
They were stressed from the change in the biological environment, and then more stressed from the chemical change to the water composition, that = death and RTN/STN.

Then on another day you decide that your ALK is too high (which it is BTW), and you change salt or dossing to correct it. All the while you're thinking about some other way that you can improve your reef, and BOOM another STN/RTN event.

Chasing numbers or problems (real or imagined) is a recipe for killing SPS.
Can I ask why your PO4 is zero? Did you mean for that to happen?

There are lots of people on here that can help, but patience (extreme patience) is key to success.

HTH

OP
OP
Ayzel1

Ayzel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is this tank/system?
Based on what you've said so far I would say this is a stability issue.

My system has been running since ‘15 I have been using the same salt: IO and RC

Let's say that you dose a bacteria that your SPS don't like (do you know what's in the bottle? I sure don't), then a few days later decide that MAG is low and work to correct it, BOOM - RTN.

That is why I only add stuff that I trust: Aquavitro, Seachem, Brightwell. Yes I know that slow and patient is the name of the game, and like I mentioned above this was my second water change with Fritz salt.

Then on another day you decide that your ALK is too high (which it is BTW),

...you think 8.79 is high?

Chasing numbers or problems (real or imagined) is a recipe for killing SPS.
Can I ask why your PO4 is zero?

I don’t chase number, I know that is bad way for things to happen, and I am assuming phosphate is zero because I changed my gfo Sunday during water change, just like I do with the carbon. It is part of my water change habit.

There are lots of people on here that can help, but patience (extreme patience) is key to success.

I know and I appreciate your input and for reaching out. Thank you!

Last edited:

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Fritz in the past with no issues. Your Phosphate being at 0 is a big red flag. Depending on where you keep your Alk you want it to be between .03 and .1 With your Alk it should be .08-.1 That being said, low PO4 wouldn't kill them that fast. I agree that it may well be the changes in salt combined with the other additives that has stressed them. I would run some polyfilter and carbon, and send in an ICP test to make sure it's not metals. Unless you have an issue with Vibrio or some other bad bacteria in the tank I wouldn't continue to add the bacteria products, or at least do what Jimmy suggested and reduce the dosage significantly. Once things have settled let me know and I'll get you a tester frag to see how it does.

OP
OP
Ayzel1

Ayzel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SawCJack00 I was advised to use purigen to pull out any heavy metals. Would that be similar to the poly filter you are suggesting?

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SawCJack00 I was advised to use purigen to pull out any heavy metals. Would that be similar to the poly filter you are suggesting?
I've never used Purigen, but I took a look at it, and it doesn't say anything about removing heavy metals, so I don't think it does the same thing as Poly Filter.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 33 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.3%
Back