SPS grow out

Shiggknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cycled my frag tank and I want to get some sticks under the lights ASAP what should I do to get the tank ready for SPS. I have 4 T5s and 2 AI Primes over it. Protein skimmer.

F978535E-903C-4050-8758-9D83FD6BE5EB.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't be bad to add a variety of bacteria such as eco balance, pns brobio, etc to get the diversity started.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cycled my frag tank and I want to get some sticks under the lights ASAP what should I do to get the tank ready for SPS. I have 4 T5s and 2 AI Primes over it. Protein skimmer.

F978535E-903C-4050-8758-9D83FD6BE5EB.jpeg
You’ll want to check the par before you put sps in there. AI primes are not very “par”erful, .

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are good to go. If you get a hair algae problem at first that covers the frags you can always try reef flux rx down the road but you should be fine. Maybe consider a six line wrasse or something like a blenny to keep in there as a sort of maintenance fish

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely say get everything cycled and solid, if your going to keep sensitive acros, water parms are the key, you coukd also use some water from a well established system to help soil the rock, i my self still patiently waiting for my smaller frag tank to cycle and get solid, P04 N03 levels at a controlled point, if wjen you start to see alge forming from new tank setup ive had good luck with vibrant products, but keep in mind the bacteria needs to be established just my 2cents

OP
OP
Shiggknight

Shiggknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are good to go. If you get a hair algae problem at first that covers the frags you can always try reef flux rx down the road but you should be fine. Maybe consider a six line wrasse or something like a blenny to keep in there as a sort of maintenance fish
I have a six line wrasse in there alrea day eating doing great.

jeffm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience :) Awesome set up.

Is the frag tank connected to a display? If it is you can move pretty fast. If not, I would add a few beneficial fish (algae eater, wrasse...) to help with bioload. Then I would wait a bit to see some coralline algae starting. Then I would add some easy stuff - zoas, LPS. Then a few easy SPS - monti, digi, Birdnest. Then try some standard torts, stag etc. If everything is successful to that point (probably 6months plus) then you can drop some $ on some nice collector SPS with confidence. Remember you can always sell off some of the more common stuff to help make room and to have a little coin to get what you really want.

Along the way you’ll have to start dosing. A tank like that a dosing pump is the easy route. At the start you can even just dose by hand. I did for years. But even a smaller tank full of beautiful acro colonies and frags will go through a serious amount of ALK, Cal, and Mag. I’m a fan of Calcium reactors for long term costs and stability with acros.

Side note. Looks like from the pic the bottom is full of rock rubble. You might find it extremely difficult to maintain. Detritus will be an issue. You’ll want to blast the bottom with flow and leave minimal areas for detritus to collect. It probably still will collect in a corner or something but it will be easy to vacuum out. Even with elevated frag racks it’s hard to stay on top of detritus. Personally I do like having some rock in my frag tank. You can glue down grow-out pieces and distributed frags around it. IMO acros always grow better firmly mounted.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you cycled it can you outline what you did to cycle over what time frame?

Was any live rock transfered from another system?

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your rocks look really white /new for a sps tank. If you can source some really clean established rock that might sees thing off a bit faster. Otherwise wait about 6 months

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the algae cycle happen properly if your keeping sps and its a sererate system. Or not and be another person asking why my acro is dying

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back