SPS Growing on Periphery, Browning around center?

willpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello,

New member, but long time lurker. I have a 8" wide colony of SPS (a Vivid Aquariums one, forget the name), that once was very healthy when it was around 4". It had crazy polyp extension before. I had some issues with my tank bout 1 year ago, and this colony survived, but it has never had the same polyp extension and the center of it has now turned a bit brownish, but still has a green blue color. In the center mass of it there is no longer any polyp extension. The wierd thing is that at the periphery its been growing very strong, and at those ends, there is great polyp extension but mostly when lights are off.

My system:

Reefer 250
2 x XR30 running AB+ ~ 39%, 8 hour photo period, Measured par at the level of the Acro ~ 450
2 MP40, 1 MP10 - on ~ 40% different schedules
Vectra M1 running at 75%
Curve 7 Skimmer
Cheato Refugium using H380 ~ 8 hour reverse lighting
JBJ Chiller
8 Watt Aqua UV Sterilizer

Keep Tank At:
1.025 Salinity
9 Alk
450 Ca
Mag 1400
Nitrates 0-1
79 Temp ( cant do any lower , equipment & ambient temp is too hot )

Water change 20 gal every 2-3 weeks
Dose Reef Energy once every 2 days
Dose Reef Roids once every 2 days
Feed Flakes 1x a day
Feed Mysis Shrimp not frozen 1x every 2 days

Livestock: 2 medium sized clowns, one medium Fairy Wrasse, 4 chalk bass small, 8 red hermits, 1 emerald crab, 4-5 snails.

Most of my other corals which are primarily SPS are doing just fine. I keep a bunch of zoas and 2 non sps, and they are growing just fine.

I am wondering is there anything I can do to help heal/regenerate the center of this SPS, or is it pretty much dead and I should frag it out of my tank?

Thanks1
unnamed (2).jpg

Last edited:

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals do the darndest things. It looks good. Be stoked it survived and adapted. Again, corals do the darndest things.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off Welcome to R2R!! What is the flow like around this colony?

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have an angle or top down shot to better show the difference in the center vs tips? I agree from that pic it looks pretty good

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible the center isnt getting the flow and lighting needs as the outer layers. Thw center may become more of a base with the outset doing better. Unless the skin starts to rtn or stn I would leave it be.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try increasing flow and see what happens to the base, but change slowly and small percentages over a longer period, and monitor, go back to flow you have now if it starts to act weird. Good luck!

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes with the flow. Also, What are your phosphates?

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had individual SPS colonies go south on older portions while the rest of the mixed reef carries on as normal when I let my nitrates hit zero. I've not had zero phosphate issues, but that's probably worth checking those too. Only other bet would be increasing flow, but I sort of doubt that is the issue. Upping feeding would be the only other thing to try, even with non-zero nitrates/phosphates.

OP
OP
willpower

willpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks guys. Phosphates are at 0, or near it, which is not great. I'm going to thin out my cheato and put the skimmer on a timer.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Phosphates are at 0, or near it, which is not great. I'm going to thin out my cheato and put the skimmer on a timer.
Important question, what test kit? Phrased differently, what is the lowest nonzero reading on the test you are using? Zero on an API test is very different from zero on the Hanna ULR test.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between your borderline low nitrates and that phosphate reading I'd start with feeding more. If you're running a refugium you could also try cutting back on the hours of light/trimming back the macro if you haven't in a while, but I'd still up the food a bit.

OP
OP
willpower

willpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Between your borderline low nitrates and that phosphate reading I'd start with feeding more. If you're running a refugium you could also try cutting back on the hours of light/trimming back the macro if you haven't in a while, but I'd still up the food a bit.

Thanks I'll start doing that, makes sense

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello,

New member, but long time lurker. I have a 8" wide colony of SPS (a Vivid Aquariums one, forget the name), that once was very healthy when it was around 4". It had crazy polyp extension before. I had some issues with my tank bout 1 year ago, and this colony survived, but it has never had the same polyp extension and the center of it has now turned a bit brownish, but still has a green blue color. In the center mass of it there is no longer any polyp extension. The wierd thing is that at the periphery its been growing very strong, and at those ends, there is great polyp extension but mostly when lights are off.

My system:

Reefer 250
2 x XR30 running AB+ ~ 39%, 8 hour photo period, Measured par at the level of the Acro ~ 450
2 MP40, 1 MP10 - on ~ 40% different schedules
Vectra M1 running at 75%
Curve 7 Skimmer
Cheato Refugium using H380 ~ 8 hour reverse lighting
JBJ Chiller
8 Watt Aqua UV Sterilizer

Keep Tank At:
1.025 Salinity
9 Alk
450 Ca
Mag 1400
Nitrates 0-1
79 Temp ( cant do any lower , equipment & ambient temp is too hot )

Water change 20 gal every 2-3 weeks
Dose Reef Energy once every 2 days
Dose Reef Roids once every 2 days
Feed Flakes 1x a day
Feed Mysis Shrimp not frozen 1x every 2 days

Livestock: 2 medium sized clowns, one medium Fairy Wrasse, 4 chalk bass small, 8 red hermits, 1 emerald crab, 4-5 snails.

Most of my other corals which are primarily SPS are doing just fine. I keep a bunch of zoas and 2 non sps, and they are growing just fine.

I am wondering is there anything I can do to help heal/regenerate the center of this SPS, or is it pretty much dead and I should frag it out of my tank?

Thanks1
unnamed (2).jpg
You can frag some pieces and glue them over the dead portion, (if it is dead). They would grow back making your colony look whole again =)
Welcome! Enjoy the forum!

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna, I am reading .03 right now

That's not bad. You could bump it up but I doubt that is the issue. Most colonies will start to lose color in the middle with loss of flow. I would start their first.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 163 73.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back