Sps high nutrients myth?

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by dave57, Jan 13, 2017.

1. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

Some folks play totally by feel. It's a trip.

2. RedneckReefer68

RedneckReefer68 Well-Known Member

Says he don't test for anything else except for ALK and calcium and manually doses

Bacon505 and bif24701 like this.
  3. bif24701

bif24701 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Ok that makes more sense. And goes by looks for PO4 and NO3 like I do. Lol, my bad.

RedneckReefer68 likes this.
  4. evmibo

evmibo Well-Known Member

Check the expiration date on the reagent. If it's been sitting for ages it might be worth it to get a new one.

Bacon505 likes this.
  5. Luis Figueroa

Luis Figueroa Well-Known Member

I tested my water tonight and found that my p04 was at .23! N03 I'd say 25+. 20170221_200313.jpg 20170221_200355.jpg

What's crazy is that you mention browning and some stn at parameters like this. I have great color in my( sps if i may say haha) growth is doing great, before my testing tonight my alk was 9.1(about a week ago) and tonight 8.4. I do weekly water change of 10 gallons. Feed 1 cube or pinch of food everyday. 20170220_184105.jpg
    My pc rainbow color.

I have quite a few frags like most of us do. Some gha here and there. I really think my corals are soaking up the high nutrients and alk at a great rate individually that it needs to be high in my tank.

kevlow, dave57 and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  6. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

Yea. Thats crazy. Are you using high light?

7. Luis Figueroa

Don't know par readings but it's a t247 o.r. 7 inches off the water on a 24 tall tank. Whites are at 40 and blues 47. Light period is about 5 hours of just white then full spectrum for 6 hours with 6 of just blues then off.

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  8. saltyfilmfolks

That's pretty cool. Med light for a long photo period.

Luis Figueroa and Stylo328 like this.
  9. Luis Figueroa

After the first 4 - 5 hours of direct white lights I figured the mid light for long periods would help however I wish I could do a high noon lighting.

10. bif24701

NO3 = 5ppm RS Pro kit
    PO4 = .03 Hanna ULR checker

At these levels I've been getting huge color improvements, in fact the colors are jumping out of the corals! Also started some Vibrant and algae is dying back. Keep PO4 @.03 or less and most algae has a hard time in my tank with the Tangs.

11. reef80

reef80 Well-Known Member

My sps pale out when nitrates get to 5 to 10. Currently trying to get it back up to 25...

12. bif24701

I've started Vibrant to help some patches of algae that sprang up, in just one week it has destroyed most all the algae and in fact my cheato has receded. Next weeks dose will be half what I used this week. I might retest my PO4 and NO3 levels to see how they are holding.

13. Scubabeth

Scubabeth Well-Known Member

So, I'll be clearly showing my ignorance here, but we'd like to branch out more into the SPS world, and run ULNS at the moment. Can anyone explain how elevated levels of nitrate in the tank's system won't also cause unwanted algae growth to increase? Thanks in advance! :)

14. saltyfilmfolks

don't allow algae into the tank. That's what no one ever says. You can lower nutrints till the coral dies and the algae will live.

Luis Figueroa and Scubabeth like this.
  15. Scubabeth

Ha! As succinct as always, and quite true, of course. Let's say "someone" may have already let said algae into a tank...what then? ;)

16. saltyfilmfolks

nuke download.jpg

17. bif24701

Don't be fooled by "ULNS" like Zeo or other custom personalized systems. Just because a system has low inorganic nutrients (NO3, PO4) doesn't mean the corals are not well fed. ULNS only work if you provide corals with the energy they need while managing the wastes. That's all. Higher NO3 and PO4 might increase algae growth but not a certainty. You must find the balance in your own system for this (any method/system) to work. In the Zeo system foods are added daily along with other things the corals and system needs from KZ. I'm still trying to find the correct balance for me. I know that having more nitrate and phosphates has helped my coral health.

18. Scubabeth

Hahaha...that MAY be a little more drastic than I need now! :eek: Algae is a bit of green spirulina on small areas of the sand; nothing siphoning out can't take care of...just didn't know if adding NO3 would increase it. Thanks for the chuckle!!

19. saltyfilmfolks

Yes it likely will. The green cyano phased out of my tank over the corse of a few month will no real change in my routine. That was with quite low and quite high nutrients.

20. Scubabeth

Thanks, @bif24701, for sharing how ULNS tinkering is going for you...it's helpful to hear that tinkering slowly may help! We've always run ULNS with our tanks; mainly by skimming/water changes and watching feeding amounts. All has been great, but we want to try some more SPS and know that organic are needed. I've enjoyed this thread! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted