Sps high nutrients myth?

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a few acros have browned out or greened out. The rainbow montis have browned out as well. Some things are still bright as ever though, such as mushrooms, GSP, and kryptonite candy canes.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys use any supplements since you run your NO3 and PO4 at higher levels? If so which ones? I feel like there's way too many supplements out there to choose from. I currently use a 2 part and an amino acid supplement.

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my nitrates are at 20 ppm right now... so far so good. everything is greened out or browned out still.... but everything alive. no algae explosion besides the usual brown wall algae...but no hair no dino's no problems yet... fingers crossed

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what it seems is corals are a like like grass, N-P-K at the right concentration and bang, it's a beautiful day. Figuring out what works for your tank is the hard part. I welcome any pointers.

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0652.jpg

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to think that, until I had problems with my tank that would be considered "old tank syndrome", for me it turned out to not have anything to do with phosphates, it was trace elements.

What was the issue with trace elements?

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what it seems is corals are a like like grass, N-P-K at the right concentration and bang, it's a beautiful day. Figuring out what works for your tank is the hard part. I welcome any pointers.

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0652.jpg
your corals look great...why do you need pointers?

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your corals look great...why do you need pointers?

I'm new to SPS, I have been keeping LPS and softies for years, my tank always had 5 ppm of nitrate and 0 ppm nitrate using API test, then I got a few SPS a couple of years ago, as they started taking off, they consumed all my nutrients in the tank and everything started losing color. I never knew ULN was an issue. So I started dosing nitrate, no results, so I started amino acid and energy supplements from a specific company and I had a bryopsis out break, I hope it was just a coincidence. I tried everything to not use fluconazole but I did it, worked beautifully. But I'm now wondering if I need to use amino acids and trace elements if I let my nutrients come up a little. I don't want to battle bryopsis again. Are the trace elements in my 2 part enough? My chemistry is:

KH - 9.5
Ca - 435 ppm
Mg - 1500 ppm
NO3 - 0.015 ppm just a guess, between lowest and first step on RedSea pro nitrate test.
PO4 - 0.113 ppm

And I do a 5 gallon water change every 2 weeks on my 90 gal. No carbon, GFO...etc except for a week twice a year.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's talk alkalinity in higher nutrients SPS systems. I was trying the ultra low route, and have killed or severely damaged a bunch of frags. I'm going back to my old practice. At any route I've always tried to keep alkalinity between 8-9. Low nutrient reefers tend to go between 6.8-7.3ish. I know of at least one person who has gone as low as 5.3dkh or at least claims that and with no issues. What are your numbers folks?

My lowest 6.5 KH, 390 Ca no problem, although I try to stay at 8-9 KH and 400-450 Ca, it think I'm going to get a dose or setup my Ca reactor. I'm glad I found this thread. I like where it's going.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started Vibrant to help some patches of algae that sprang up, in just one week it has destroyed most all the algae and in fact my cheato has receded. Next weeks dose will be half what I used this week. I might retest my PO4 and NO3 levels to see how they are holding.

What is Vibrant? Where do you get it?

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend Calcium Reactor if you are in it for the long haul. It's money initially investment but pays for itself ten fold over time. 2 part gets expensive over time

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend Calcium Reactor if you are in it for the long haul. It's money initially investment but pays for itself ten fold over time. 2 part gets expensive over time
I have a calcium reactor, just haven't tried yet. guess I will give it a run.

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it takes time to "dial it in" so its' best to test often while you are unsure the rate you run it at. and definitely wait to get high end acros until you've got everything stable
good luc
k

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is Vibrant? Where do you get it?

It’s called Vibrant Reef Aquarium Cleaner and it’s great. Many folks have used it safely and it’s very effective. There are many online aquarium shops that carry it, and amazon.

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i remmber correctly, this Vibrant is a form of bacteria? that consumes excess nutrients better than algae and anythign else, thereby outcompeting and killing them?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back