Sps high nutrients myth?

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by dave57, Jan 13, 2017.

1. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

you first. Whats the BigQ

FarmerTy likes this.

2. EJReef

EJReef Well-Known Member

Will the ocean's reefs still be around after 4 years?

fragit likes this.
  3. fragit

fragit Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I don't really have any at this point. Just didn't want to get too off subject. And I feel I started the tangent so wanted to get things back on track.

4. edosan

edosan Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

@JBNY if I understand correct, basically is a 3 to 5 minutes "air" dip? No water of any kind, right?

5. fragit

That's what I took him to mean. It makes total sense to me. A lot of corals are left to cook in the sun when tides are low. They produce slime to defend against UV rays and to keep from drying out.

edosan likes this.
  6. JBNY

JBNY Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Yes. Lots of people actually do this at this point. This is for acropora only. Well I have done it with montipora too but not as much with acropora.

edosan and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  7. Stylo328

Stylo328 Well-Known Member

Was that a typo on the 568 fish? Only asking as I am a big fan of your tank and am trying to gauge just how many small fish I can house in the 405. Looking to achieve similar success.

Thanks,

AJ

8. bif24701

bif24701 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

My system:
    180 display, 275 total
    NO3, 5ppm
    PO4, 0.00. Can't get a reading on either RS pro PO4 or Hanna ULR.
    High flow, 60x display
    Large skimmer, 10"
    Cal 430
    ALK 9.1, down from 11
    Mag 1500

My corals turned pale when I removed my fish two months ago and been trying to increased nutrients. I have efficient export methods. Recently started to reduce ALK because my tips are burning/STN.

fragit and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  9. Thales

Thales Well-Known Member

I believe it lowered when I started doing automated water changes- but it still leveled off at 1.5 ish. You also asked for PAR at the top of the tank. Here is the graph - going to start moving the sensor around.

[​IMG]

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  10. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

Nice, thanks! Ive always assumed a lot of light was key to your high nutrient balance. Although I did expect slightly higher. My guess was 800.

11. Thales

Thales Well-Known Member

I am on the fence about raising it or lowering it based on Dana's research. I need data from lower down first. :D

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  12. saltyfilmfolks

yea thats a whole other debate. I've read Dana for years and was at the macna talk too. But A LOT of acro and old school guys would disagree.
    My observation after a couple years on R2r is yea they do fine or great growth yea Dana's absolutely right. But a LOT of tanks running low pars have nutrient issues.
    I feed like an Idiot sometimes, have a decent coral bioload, and have a lot of light. I don't get cyano much if ever. I'm pretty sure I'm using coal to out compete for nutrints and Carbon. That's with increasing nutrints slowly to half stupid levels and no to low zoa shrinking levels.
    Maybe I have the world's most powerful bio filter but I dont think so. I also only have a tunze 9002 and a big fuge on a 55g. On my smaller tank I have to feed like a fool to keep nutrints up. That tank is sumpless and half the year It didn't have a skimmer.

FarmerTy likes this.
  13. Screwloose

Screwloose New Member

I just wanted to add, I run a no water change reef, nitrates 100+ an phos last week on the ICP test was 2.45 ;)

nutrients have been high for years.

14. fragit

And is your tank a species specific tank? Those are some high nutrients for and SPS tank

15. Bacon505

Bacon505 Well-Known Member

IMG_3882.JPG This is my system about 25 months. The last time i checked My nitrates and phosphates was when my tank finished cycling. I dont test anything else since then except for alk and calcium. I dont test for mag or potassium or any other trace elements either. I manually dose alk and cal when i feel like it and base on the look of my corals. Weekly 10-20gallon wc, sometime i get lazy or traveling will delay 2-3weeks at times.

kevlow likes this.
  16. Bacon505

IMG_2985.JPG IMG_2986.JPG IMG_3458.JPG IMG_3460.JPG IMG_3911.JPG IMG_3910.JPG IMG_3909.JPG IMG_3907.JPG Top down of some of my wild sps. Yes most of my sps frag to begin with. Risky but cheap lol

17. evmibo

evmibo Well-Known Member

Tank looks beautiful, but since we don't know what NO3 and PO4 are how do we know it applies to the thread? I'm curious to know what your levels are.

Jimbo, fragit and Catchemall like this.
  18. Bacon505

I have a hannah po4 checker that i havent use in ages, let me check and report back later

19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'm just starting to add SPS (mostly Acros) to my new sumpless set up. My nitrates currently sit around 5-10. Am I good, or should I be worried?

20. bif24701

bif24701 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm trying to understand how you are able to maintain appropriate ALK and Cal without testing yet dosing additives for each. Very interesting how this is done.

Draft saved Draft deleted