OP
OP
unchaotic

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just have to keep this thread saved and post more pics as it grows. Maybe the growth pattern will make it more obvious as time goes on.
I did look back in the convo with the guy I bought it from and he referred to it as a branching montipora. But I'm pretty sure he also had a wrong name for a zoa I got from him.

OP
OP
unchaotic

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun @encrustingacro @vetteguy53081 @Graffiti Spot @HudsonReefer2.0 @undermind @Reefing102 @Tankkeepers

I think I’ve got everybody tagged to revisit this one. Here’s a couple of recent pics:
2C53C364-98B5-4C50-9791-51D222BD2337.jpeg
DD1ADCC9-2A09-44D0-8D4D-503D2AC3E33A.jpeg

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montipora Hirsuta.
M. hirsuta is not a valid species. It has been synonymized with M. carinata.
I also would not be so quick to jump to a species level ID, as a coral's appearances can change a lot after adapting to captivity. There are also probably lookalike species, such as M. stellata.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
M. hirsuta is not a valid species. It has been synonymized with M. carinata.
I also would not be so quick to jump to a species level ID, as a coral's appearances can change a lot after adapting to captivity. There are also probably lookalike species, such as M. stellata.
Was told something new. Well that’s my guess. Yes I see resemblances. I do have a stellata in the system.

OP
OP
unchaotic

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just stick to calling it a (whatever color it "permanently" displays) branching montipora. I can accidentaly break frag it pretty easily, so the locals will probably all end up with it eventually.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda wish it still looked like those early pics, but I'm not going to complain about a fast growing SPS coral.
Those earlier photos made me think it was a seriatopora species but the growth pattern of a mature piece reminds me of a Montipora digitata and similar species to that.

Last edited:

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I was not expecting it to be a montipora! Very good update, just shows how much some new growth and good pics can do for some of these tougher ids. I will leave the montipora pros to get you set here since I haven’t kept them for a long time.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back