SPS Lagoon without protein skimmer

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. Excellent example of using biology to achieve a natural balance for the system.

Like others, I find your construction of a DIY Dastaco reactor very interesting. I had been thinking about building my own version as well. Did you incorporate any venting cycles into your version to replace the CO2 on a daily basis? You might want to do a thread just on your DIY Dastaco reactor as I am sure that a lot of people would be interested.

Dennis

McPikie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AQbsolutely stunning tank with gorgeous colouration and some fantastic growth. Makes me want to go home and tear out my filtersocks and skimmer :D:D

An absolute credit to you sir.

OP
OP
Jacek56

Jacek56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely beautiful!

What is the red fish?

Thank you.

I don’t know, possibly it is Red Fin Fairy Wrasse.

AQbsolutely stunning tank with gorgeous colouration and some fantastic growth. Makes me want to go home and tear out my filtersocks and skimmer :D:D

An absolute credit to you sir.

Thank you

Wow your tank is so beautiful [emoji7]
Thank you.

Beautiful tank. Excellent example of using biology to achieve a natural balance for the system.

Like others, I find your construction of a DIY Dastaco reactor very interesting. I had been thinking about building my own version as well. Did you incorporate any venting cycles into your version to replace the CO2 on a daily basis? You might want to do a thread just on your DIY Dastaco reactor as I am sure that a lot of people would be interested.

Dennis

Thank you Dennis.
In my case I have PH probe to check ph inside reactor and I never had to vent reactor on daily basis.
If you have any query regarding reactor I am happy to answer.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Dennis.
In my case I have PH probe to check ph inside reactor and I never had to vent reactor on daily basis.
If you have any query regarding reactor I am happy to answer.

Thanks Jacek. I am curious about the inclusion of the PH probe. Is it only for monitoring or does it have a function? I am under the impression that the Dastaco type reactors use only float switches to control the addition of CO2.

What PH does yourvreactor run at (assuming only the float switches and your chosen media influence the CO2 addition)?

Dennis

OP
OP
Jacek56

Jacek56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph probe is only for monitoring. This is the quickest way to check if reactor is working fine. Normally float switch keeps Ph around 6,0-6,2. If Ph is different, higher then usual, it means that something is wrong eg. empty CO2 bottle, issue with pump, you name it. Generally speaking reactor requires your attention. For example, recently Ph was not stable inside reactor and I had to vent my reactor every couple of days, despite that every thing was working fine. Then I realize that last time I cleaned ARM was one year ago, after cleaning reactor started working normally, lesson learned - clean your media at least ones a year.

dough

Reefing since '95
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on such beautiful tank.

I find that your not running a skimmer interesting. I thought I recently saw some posts on people not running skimmers. Before upgrading my tank a few months ago, the skimmer on my old tank was more or less just aerating the water and my few SPS looked good. Now with my new tank the SPS are still settling in but they don't look as good but I'm running a skimmer. I wonder if there is something to skimmer free systems?

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph probe is only for monitoring. This is the quickest way to check if reactor is working fine. Normally float switch keeps Ph around 6,0-6,2. If Ph is different, higher then usual, it means that something is wrong eg. empty CO2 bottle, issue with pump, you name it. Generally speaking reactor requires your attention. For example, recently Ph was not stable inside reactor and I had to vent my reactor every couple of days, despite that every thing was working fine. Then I realize that last time I cleaned ARM was one year ago, after cleaning reactor started working normally, lesson learned - clean your media at least ones a year.
The float switch on/off the feed?

OP
OP
Jacek56

Jacek56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float switch on/off the feed?
Yes.

Congrats on such beautiful tank.

I find that your not running a skimmer interesting. I thought I recently saw some posts on people not running skimmers. Before upgrading my tank a few months ago, the skimmer on my old tank was more or less just aerating the water and my few SPS looked good. Now with my new tank the SPS are still settling in but they don't look as good but I'm running a skimmer. I wonder if there is something to skimmer free systems?
Thank you .
Instead skimmer you need good mechanical filtration, good water turnover (10xdisplay volume) that is all. Earlier I posted more details about it.

Untitled by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a PC rainbow grow out contest a while back... 2 teams skimmer v non skimmer and IIRC the skimmerless team won by a landslide in growth and color. Just saying.

OP
OP
Jacek56

Jacek56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can share briefly how the Dastaco system work? Cannot find any thread on this topic
749311B8-FE90-4EC1-A87A-0D5BD6B810C1 by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr

In chamber no1 there is a float switch, CO2 and water supply from peristaltic pump. When you turn on reactor all 3 chambers are full of water, float switch activate CO2 solenoid valve and chamber No1 is filled with CO2. When lelvel of CO2 reaches the float then float drops ( can’t swim in the gas ) and gas supply is cut off. CO2 dissolves in the water in the blink of the eye, creates more room for water. So floater can swim again and activates CO2 supply and again CO2 fills up chamber and again float drops cutting off CO2 supply. Imagine how your ATO device works. Instead pumping water is pumping CO2 to keep the same level of CO2 in chamber no1. That’s the dastaco secret .

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

B8-FE90-4EC1-A87A-0D5BD6B810C1 by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr

In chamber no1 there is a float switch, CO2 and water supply from peristaltic pump. When you turn on reactor all 3 chambers are full of water, float switch activate CO2 solenoid valve and chamber No1 is filled with CO2. When lelvel of CO2 reaches the float then float drops ( can’t swim in the gas ) and gas supply is cut off. CO2 dissolves in the water in the blink of the eye, creates more room for water. So floater can swim again and activates CO2 supply and again CO2 fills up chamber and again float drops cutting off CO2 supply. Imagine how your ATO device works. Instead pumping water is pumping CO2 to keep the same level of CO2 in chamber no1. That’s the dastaco secret .

Thank You Jacek for sharing. Only 2 more questions.
The No.1 chamber water supply when on and when off?
And CO2 is inject only when there is water in the NO.1 chamber?

OP
OP
Jacek56

Jacek56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You Jacek for sharing. Only 2 more questions.
The No.1 chamber water supply when on and when off?
And CO2 is inject only when there is water in the NO.1 chamber?
Water supply is constant from peristaltic pump. The whole reactor is always full of water. Controlling the flow rate throughout of the reactor you control alk.level in the tank.

Simply breathtaking!!! Also looks very natural. Amazing job.
Thank you.

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water supply is constant from peristaltic pump. The whole reactor is always full of water. Controlling the flow rate throughout of the reactor you control alk.level in the tank.

Thank you.
Thank You Jacek for the update and info.
I will get the float switch and try out

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back