SPS Lagoon without protein skimmer

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the green slimer with blue tips, which is awesome and I wish someone around my area had it. But this humilus looking guy.
Thanks for the extra shots of the brown stag with purple tips, that branches are really unique looking!
9ccc3c9091a691d59b097e3b3a9a2589.jpg

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really beautiful tank. Great job! I think it is important to note that your tank is full of colonies. Running your tank without a skimmer is very different from someone who has some frags in a new tank. I feel that removing a skimmer from a tank as it fills in with coral can make sense. Once the tank is full of coral, they will use all the nutrients added to the tank from feeding...and with a skimmer, there may not be enough nutrients for the coral. When a tank is new, you don't have colonies to remove all the nutrients and need to rely on a skimmer or other means to remove excess nutrients so you don't have algae and other problems.

OP
OP
Jacek56

Jacek56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really beautiful tank. Great job! I think it is important to note that your tank is full of colonies. Running your tank without a skimmer is very different from someone who has some frags in a new tank. I feel that removing a skimmer from a tank as it fills in with coral can make sense. Once the tank is full of coral, they will use all the nutrients added to the tank from feeding...and with a skimmer, there may not be enough nutrients for the coral. When a tank is new, you don't have colonies to remove all the nutrients and need to rely on a skimmer or other means to remove excess nutrients so you don't have algae and other problems.

Please watch this

and go throught this thread below. Just watch tank progression pictures, dry rock and frags only, no skimmer from very beginning. Conclusion : biology and mechanical filtration is the key.

http://nano-reef.pl/forums/topic/83973-łza-morskiego-oka-800l-bez-odpieniacza/

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing, are they using zeovit method as well? That's a really cool thread even though I can't read it :). The overflow seems very original!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Jacek56

Jacek56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received such a query.
"Hi,
I red that you have 0 nitrates and phosphates, but you didn't explain, where do you attribute those values. Is the reason mainly mechanical filtration, or denitrification, occurring ,to your zeo reactor, and the ceramic balls?

Thanks in advance, if you want, you can answer at the forum. „

I think this is combination all of above.
Mechanical filtration removes excess of food leftovers, fish poop, etc, everything visible in the water which may leads break into PO4 and NO3.
ZEOlites adsorbs ammonium and ammonia, thus preventing the formation of nitrite and nitrate.
Ceramic balls, live rock, sand bed + bacterias = creates a healthy, well-balanced and efficient bacterial fauna. Reduction of organic and inor- ganic substances.
We can’t forget about water movement ( 10x tank volume) when you combine everything you got NO3 and PO4 undetactable with Salifert tests.

Happy Reefing
Jack

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
Maintenance is strait forward. Filtration mats are replaced every 1-2 days, activated carbon is change every 30 days, zeolites are change every 8-12 weeks, every day dose of: ZS 1.2ml x2/day, SP 1ml/ day, ZB 5 drops daily, ZF 5 drops weekly, CB 1 ml daily. WC are performed every 1-2 weeks 30-70ltr, depends on my mood. :) Basically I try to follow KZ maintenance book, except I do not have to clean the skimmer :) and I dose much, much less then it is written on blue bottles.

Jacek, just to be clear, you are dosing?

Zeostart
Zeobak
Zeofood
Sponge Power
Coral Booster

Zeo is not my strong point so I just want to confirm I have translated the short forms to their full names.

Dennis

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I was curious about. Do you know how many microns the filter pads you use are? I know that the roller mats (Klir for example) are 50 microns which would remove much of the planktonic lifeforms. Filter floss in my view would probably allow much more through and may allow napulli and other beneficial life through, but only if your filter pads are the typical filter floss.

Dennis

OP
OP
Jacek56

Jacek56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jacek, just to be clear, you are dosing?

Zeostart
Zeobak
Zeofood
Sponge Power
Coral Booster

Zeo is not my strong point so I just want to confirm I have translated the short forms to their full names.

Dennis

Yes, this is what I dose and flatworm stop in addition.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

That was my old system, not very user friendly.

piin by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr
image-573c80495e03c0fcd7c25a53475da2c5fd96bfcc942d8b935fecb3b8d9210441-V by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr

I started present system ( 230cm x 150cmx 60cm, 1700ltr in total) in December 2015, with two BK250 and biopellets reactor because my first system was little bit complicated.
Untitled by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr
_IGP0176 by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr

Equipment is kept in the panel which is a part of display tank.

The whole system was relatively easy to run but corals were not happy. Last year when for the first time I saw system run without skimmer I could only say WOW. So I decided to give a trial.
Overflow box was modified to two stage mechanical filtration.

Untitled
by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr

Biopellets were replaced with KZ zeolite reactor, additional LR and ceramic bed was added and here we go. Anniversary one year without skimmer is coming next month:D. Why I am so proud of this, because I was raised as a aquarist that skimmer is one of the most important machinery in sea water aquarium. I think that is very important for shops and manufacturers of this kind of equipment but not for us.:)
This year aquarium view.
Image 09.04.2017 at 18.18 by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr
Image 09.04.2017 at 18.16 by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr
Obraz 09.04.2017, godz. 18.12 by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_dc by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr
fullsizeoutput_cf by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr
fullsizeoutput_e1 by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr
fullsizeoutput_e5 by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr
;)
Thanks for sharing, comrade

OP
OP
Jacek56

Jacek56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I was curious about. Do you know how many microns the filter pads you use are? I know that the roller mats (Klir for example) are 50 microns which would remove much of the planktonic lifeforms. Filter floss in my view would probably allow much more through and may allow napulli and other beneficial life through, but only if your filter pads are the typical filter floss.

Dennis
I cannot answer your question. I am using pads 200 gram/m2 (grams per square metre) . How to convert this into microns, I do not know. :(

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot answer your question. I am using pads 200 gram/m2 (grams per square metre) . How to convert this into microns, I do not know. :(

Ok, that is still helpful. I have been reading up on the roller style filters with an eye to how they could be used in your style of system. My interest is a method of filtering that can operate with less manual husbandry. For periods when I am away (this is one such time, writing this from Moorea, Polynesia).

I am going to think about using a conical settlement filter to provide large particle removal, cleaned daily during the AWC.

Dennis

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back