OP
Qwarex

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At your current levels it's not urgently bad but high magnesium can hurt inverts over time. You want around 1400 mag and cal 420 to 450. I use coral pro salt also and it works well to maintain numbers. Alk and cal become necessary to dose as you get enough corals which I'm sure you know. Magnesium only depletes at 1/10th the rate of cal and alk so it is fine with weekly water changes maybe a small hand dose weekly.

Have you done a recent ICP test to look at everything?
I have not done any icp tests, idk where to find any in my country. And arent they really expensive?

OP
OP
Qwarex

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a teaspoon of Baking soda to stabilize the Dkh and see what the alk content is with your salt brand. Test your alk 8-12 hrs after addition of bicarbonate( baking soda) if see if numbers increase slightly and stabilize
I have some alk liquid for dosing. I already dose it. Should i up it to 9 dkh maybe?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have some alk liquid for dosing. I already dose it. Should i up it to 9 dkh maybe?
8.5 is a safe target. Liquid may help but if consumed by coral may make it seem like there is no change

OP
OP
Qwarex

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.5 is a safe target. Liquid may help but if consumed by coral may make it seem like there is no change
Corals consume about 1 dkh a week. So i dose 1 dkh every sunday. Should i dose 0.5 once a week? Also you say 8.5 is best, so should it be 9 after dosing and 8 before dosing if dosing once a week?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not done any icp tests, idk where to find any in my country. And arent they really expensive?
45 dollars US on Amazon. You mail it in with your water samples. Mailing is free. You create an account and they post your lab results there.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In real life its whiter, i also moved it a bit and no good reaction, this is the spot it was from the start. The lights are only 20% so idk what to say about it, cant really get a par meter because i dont have an lfs
You have to remember that coral are slow metabolism creatures. Especially Acros

Any change you make today could take months to have a visible effect.
By the same token, visible changes today are reflecting something that happened weeks/months ago.

If you keep everything stable, they will settle down over a few months.

OP
OP
Qwarex

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 dollars US on Amazon. You mail it in with your water samples. Mailing is free. You create an account and they post your lab results there.

Im from europe, Romania. I dont think its available here

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Corals consume about 1 dkh a week. So i dose 1 dkh every sunday. Should i dose 0.5 once a week? Also you say 8.5 is best, so should it be 9 after dosing and 8 before dosing if dosing once a week?
Sounds like you have low consumption which is not a bad thing. To achieve desired Dkh which should be done slowly will not fix itself overnight but can be up to a month or longer. Stable is as good as low but make any changes GRADUAL. .

OP
OP
Qwarex

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at the "taking a break" part currently from my new sps frags won in a high pressured sales event Is this you?
Interesting, i can say that im not that frustrated , im just trying to troubleshoot. For feeding i feed frozen once a week and now reef energy ab+ almot every day, so that i stimulate the acros to extend their polyps at all times. I only dose kh and now trace elements. Thing is my acros dont extend their polyps at all and its a month after addition. I have 2 lights for minimal shadows and 2 mp40 and another smaller pump plus the recirculating pump, so flow probably isnt the issue. Maybe the lights, but i really dont know how to set them right. It might not be the lights either, so other than the main measurements like ca mg ph kh etc, that are ok in my tank, the only things that i can think of are trace elements that maybe my water lacks in. Especially iodine because i have some zoas that just dont do well. Lost a few nirvanas...

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahaa.....sure :') , should i make another post for that ? XD
Idk if you've "tried everything" and your up for trying anything yet, but have you checked for heavy metals exposed in your tank?

How about a metal absorbing filter media? I personally have never used them before but they make them.

Rubber Ducky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe noone addressed the salinity much...acros in particular want that 1.025-1.026 range, with a nice 8.1-8.4ph, and if your having ANY kind of swing in any calc,alk mag, salinity will cause the issues your having. Maintaining those to make them balanced and consistent is key to acros and montis....

OP
OP
Qwarex

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if you've "tried everything" and your up for trying anything yet, but have you checked for heavy metals exposed in your tank?

How about a metal absorbing filter media? I personally have never used them before but they make them.

I will look into it i guess, wouldnt lps or soft corals look bad in that case tho?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe noone addressed the salinity much...acros in particular want that 1.025-1.026 range, with a nice 8.1-8.4ph, and if your having ANY kind of swing in any calc,alk mag, salinity will cause the issues your having. Maintaining those to make them balanced and consistent is key to acros and montis....
That's true I guess it's best to start simple, but I'd assume anyone rolling with "acros" ;) already knows all that stuff, but your right some people let their salinity and temp go all over which can be ok for some systems but not so much for others. Good thinking start with the simple stuff first and cross them off the list if thats not it!

OP
OP
Qwarex

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some signs of high salinity?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back