SPS Polyp Extension - Flow

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been thinking. We all chase SPS Polyp Extension and it is agreed upon characteristics of a healthy coral (species dependent).

My question is about flow and its effect on SPS. In an SPS dominant aquarium where you've got a bunch of MP40s hitting the coral from multiple angles, does it make sense to program it at random and just leave it? Or do SPS need that little break in the flow for the polyps to extend before they get hit with another strong wave?

Curious as to what the community thinks and the rationale.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that SPS need more flow when the lighting is more intense to help them respirate, so vaguely speaking it seems that less flow at night would be beneficial.

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that SPS need more flow when the lighting is more intense to help them respirate, so vaguely speaking it seems that less flow at night would be beneficial.
Fair point, but say we are only talking about day time flow. What is the optimal pattern there to be hitting an individual coral?

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been wondering this too, I feel a constant barrage helps some corals while others retract a bit more. But I think the lighting and nutrient levels coincide with flow.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It entirely depends on the species.....some can handle (and even like direct flow) while others prefer indirect random flow. Just have to watch each colony to see how they react.

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've heard this discussed on podcasts, other threads etc. From what I have gathered, some people run lower flow at night for acro-domianted tanks. Others blast it all day / all night, with no breaks ever. From what I understand, success can be achieved with both ways. That said, one may be more ideal, but I don't think there is a clear consensus at all on this.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had all mine on constant reef crest or tidal etc… I suck at programming but just switched my mp40’s over to the templates they have on mobius and I’m liking what I see! Each one is just random flows and speeds all throughout the day and night! I have each one set to a different template they provide.

Template as in members tanks.

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had all mine on constant reef crest or tidal etc… I suck at programming but just switched my mp40’s over to the templates they have on mobius and I’m liking what I see! Each one is just random flows and speeds all throughout the day and night! I have each one set to a different template they provide.

Template as in members tanks.
and you find that your polyps are out all day?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are because I feed them during the day… you gotta train them haha!
IMG_3525.jpeg
IMG_3374.jpeg
IMG_3378.jpeg
IMG_3376.jpeg

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll add anecdotally for myself, I blast my corals all day with 5 MP40s in a 125G. None of them run at 100% obviously, and I have it set up where it's all indirect flow, but I'm never giving them a "break" period if that makes sense.

My SPS polyps are out all day / all night. Some obviously way more fluffy than others, and some with super small/slightly retracted polyps (probably genetics of the species).

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add anecdotally for myself, I blast my corals all day with 5 MP40s in a 125G. None of them run at 100% obviously, and I have it set up where it's all indirect flow, but I'm never giving them a "break" period if that makes sense.

My SPS polyps are out all day / all night. Some obviously way more fluffy than others, and some with super small/slightly retracted polyps (probably genetics of the species).
Do you feed your acros?

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you feed your acros?
I don't feed my acros. For fish, I almost always feed mysis/brine shrimp and spirulina. I occasionally drop a clam in for my CBB.

I do ICP test and fine tune trace elements, although I admit it is hard to say how important that is. To me it's another box to be checked, if one is financially capable.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 35 41.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back