SPS question

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo I just bought a Monti online - a Jason Fox Beach Bum monti .... My tank is 4 months old ... Did I make a mistake lol ? It looked too cool to pass up --- I know I should have had a cheaper one to try as my first SPS but I'm hoping someone will tell me that it will all work out haha

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how you set up tank live rock or dry rock. And your parameters and your lighting are good there’s a possibility. Lol

OP
OP
Payne Train

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QMaven 6800 lights - they are good. I started with dry rock but all of my parameters have been pretty stable so far

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn’t the best thing to do and most likely it will die, but it has a slim chance since montis are generally pretty hardy.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s always a chance for everything haha

OP
OP
Payne Train

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I really wanted to wait until coraline took hold before I added any SPS .... but again, I couldn't pass it up .

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just remember, there will always be more when ur tank is actually ready! It not rare or hard to come by. So fortunately it can be replaced if it doesn’t make it.

Idaho Lone Wolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Montipora is fairly hardy, but the one you selected is quite expensive as a starter coral. A good rule to follow with saltwater aquariums is "take is slow and easy". You don't purchase a $100 fish to establish your tank, so you need to start with less expensive corals to get the hang of it. I recommend keeping close watch on your calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, PH and salinity levels. Use good quality test kits. Need to have good water flow and good quality lighting. Don't forget weekly water changes with RODI water and good quality reef specific salt. The Jason Fox Beach Bum Monti appears to be an encrusting coral, so moderately low lighting is recommended. If you have bright lights, keep the coral lower in your tank. Don't be afraid to target feed your coral. If you are planning to have SPS and LPS coral, don't include leather coral. I don't believe they do well together. SPS and LPS corals require pristine water conditions, good lighting and water movement. Good luck.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90% of reefers do the same thing - adding SPS when your tanks not ready even though you are - Not a mistake just a learning curve. I added a monti after 2 months and it survived but took almost 8 months to start even growing. Now it grows like week. I will add I added 20 LB of aged liverock when I noticed my Dry rock was not maturing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back