SPS receding tissue

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need advice with this acro that has some receding tissue around the base. It's been in the tank for a few months about 1/3 of the way down. I honestly can't remember the name of this thing from WWC other than it's REALLY purple. The tank itself has been up and running since March.

I'm still really new at troubleshooting issues but I'm almost certain that this problem is my struggle with stability over the past few weeks since adding the first fish to the system. NO3 typically has been around 3 to 5 but now has gone up to 10. Phos is .05. Along with that Alk has dropped to 7 which I'm now slowly bringing up to 7.8 or so. Calcium remained stable at 450 for past couple months.

Lighting is an AI HD prime running AB+ spectrum.

Using Red Sea blue bucket with weekly water 10% water changes. Aquaforest NP pro and Pro bio s.

Any ideas?

acro1.jpg

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this problem is my struggle with stability over the past few weeks
Any ideas?
Sounds like you know the answer already. Corals - especially SPS - need rock-steady parameters at the proper levels in order the thrive. Even to "just" survive, they need stability in a fairly narrow band. It's not easy, these oceans-in-a-box (but OH so worth it). :)

I'd suggest you keep on the track you're on - raise up your Alk, monitor the numbers, etc. But I'll be honest and admit I don't have the best track record myself with SPS, so I'm sure others will chime in with more specific suggestions.

While we wait for that, it would likely serve the process well if you were to post up all of the numbers you know for your tank - temp, salinity, Ca, etc. If you can test it, doing so will only help at this point.

OP
OP
jhatfield

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we wait for that, it would likely serve the process well if you were to post up all of the numbers you know for your tank - temp, salinity, Ca, etc. If you can test it, doing so will only help at this point.
Sure thing!

Latest Parameters:
  • Salinity - 1.026
  • Temp - 78
  • PH - 8.2
  • ALK - 7.0
  • Cal - 450
  • Mag - 1370
  • Nitrate - 10 (usually in the 3 - 5 range)
  • Phos - .05 (up until Oct it was undetectable with Hanna low range)
  • RODI

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp should be between 79 and 80 and the part that has lost its color is basically just shaded....a known issue w sps and LEDs.

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn’t from shading. That frag should be uncrusting the plug, not dying at the base.

Figured it was wishful thinking. Have you had corals come back and continue to grow with dead spots like that? I have 2 that have dead spots at the base but seem to be growing now. I am hoping it' not just stn slow death.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured it was wishful thinking. Have you had corals come back and continue to grow with dead spots like that? I have 2 that have dead spots at the base but seem to be growing now. I am hoping it' not just stn slow death.
Yea it can absolutely come back. In fact the dead area looks “old”. To me it looks like the recession has stopped.

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it can absolutely come back. In fact the dead area looks “old”. To me it looks like the recession has stopped.

That's good news. This isn't my thread but I have 2 corals that have this issue around 1|2 of the base. But it stopped I think and the growth has continued. Anyway cheers my friend and thank you.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to keep ALK,MAG , CA as stable as possible .

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F

For sure...use dosing pumps and test frequently w/ weekly wc. But I think a period of to much nopox and gfo and almost zero nutrients caused this problem.

I almost crashed my tank due to ULN levels. My acros paled and started to recede like that. Dropped my carbon dose by 50% and took my gfo offline for a month and let everything recover. I just restarted the gfo using just a little bit and also started using redsea coral nutrition.

Last edited:

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basal recession has to do with nutrients. I’m fighting this I’ve lost some pieces with my no3 at 100. Then lowered it and it bottomed out. Lost more pieces. Now I’m in a good spot. I hope I’m stable at this point. Lesson learned.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basal recession has to do with nutrients. I’m fighting this I’ve lost some pieces with my no3 at 100. Then lowered it and it bottomed out. Lost more pieces. Now I’m in a good spot. I hope I’m stable at this point. Lesson learned.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS Base Recession Happens to me all the time. Not often, but happens.

Even with Stability ROck Solid across all parameters, and Nutrients too.

I can have 20 Frags doing fine, and one or two decide to receed.
I've never figured out why.

The good part can have Great PE, Color. But the base receeds slowly like a thermometer rising.

I've left frags alone, and they receed till nothing left.

I've cut off the good part and remounted. That has saved a few, but not always.

I've moved frags to different lighting. That can help, or make things worse (the move).

Once thing I've learned, is don't overeact to one Frag going bad (if others are doing fine).
When you make too many adjustments (drastically) to save one Frag, then you can upset others, and in the long run your constant adjustments ruin more than you save (if any saved at all).

Last edited:

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. That's not shading imo and it does look old. I think your parameters are fine. Keep them stable though and see what happens.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know old post.

I’m having this same issue with SOME acro frags not all. I think my phosphates are too high. They trend from .16-.22.

Howver I also run alk at 9.4-10.0. I’m getting to down to 8 via water changes very slowly, and the goal is to bring down those nutrients along with it.

however, I have great PE in all acros, just some have burnt tips and or slightly receded bases - BUT, they grow back over all the time, and then we have the issue again. I have no idea.

What I have started doing differently is feeding ESV dried phytoplankton and wet skimming - maybe I was starving my corals? My nutrient levels haven’t changed even doing this.
What is the difference between FOOD and nutrients? Are they the same ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back