sps & softies

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much luck have you guys had with the mixture? have a lot of softies and a few sps. thinking of adding more sps but don't know the luck i'll have.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey bro I have never had a problem with the two together. I wouldn't have a tank with strictly just one and not the other. It can be done and really pretty easily.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a myth that you can't mix the two. i seriously doubt it has anything to do with toxins in the water. its more about water quality.

traditionally, people that own 100% softie tanks have dirtier water.....as there isn't really a need to have ultra clean water. generally softies do better in dirtier tanks anyways.

on the other hand, sps don't like dirty tanks. sometimes they die or just remain brown.

but i've seen allot of people have all softie tanks then add a few really nice sps and have great success as long as they learn to keep their alk and calcium levels high and stable.

R

reef-nut

View Badges
I have mixed softies with hammers and brains and bubbles with no problems at all.

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a mixed reef with a little bit of everything. The only thing I haven't been able to successfully keep are clove polyps (Clavularia) . . . Xenia and Anthelia are growing like gangbusters, but the cloves just shrivel up and look sad.

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tank I fixed for a friend. No sps but lps and soft
100_1448.jpg

This is what it looked like before I started on it. The frogspawn in the top right is the same one that in the first it was about the size of a fifty cent piece. Bottom pic is about ten months before the first
100_0276.jpg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back