SPS spotlight - Cliff's Acropora

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a little segment for fun that would spotlight different corals, the story behind them, and in depth information about them. To start, I figured I'd spotlight the coral I get asked about the most - "Cliff's Acropora". It's a very unique looking acro and has a small backstory as well.

To start, let's take a look at the coral up close and personal. This coral is one of my favorites and I just love the colors. The base grows pink and green, while stalks are green with some yellow hues. The corallites are purple and new growth on the tips is a hot pink color. The polyps themselves are a very dark purple.
Boom-3405.jpg

The coral is a fast grower, and once encrusted really starts to take off. Here you can see a frag I glued to this plug about 16 days ago, and it's already quite encrusted.
Boom-3407.jpg

This coral can handle a variety of lighting. My frags are kept between 230-350 par under LED SB Reef Lights. This includes the two frags above. The mother colony (pics below) in my personal tank is kept under SB Reef Lights as well, but here it's getting closer to 400-450 par. So in the end 230-450 is a pretty big range. Under higher par the purples will get deeper and stronger, but under the lower end you'll see a bit more of the greens and yellows come out. For flow it is like any other SPS, it thrives under a lot of turnover. I wouldn't put it 4" in front of a powerhead, but it can take a ton of flow.

Here is a full 32 F stop image of my mother colony.
Boom-3425.jpg

The story behind the name of the coral is pretty simple. It was named after the reefer who discovered it. But, you won't find this information on google! As it was told to me, it was a wild piece found by a Wisconsin Reef Society member named "Cliff". He started fragging it after some years and then more people grew it and fragged it. And that continued. If you ask most Wisconsin Reef Society members they'll tell you they know what Cliff's Acro is. But outside of the state, very few have heard of it or even seen it.

At this point my mother colony and my frags are all many many generations aquacultured as the coral has been in this area for many years now. The coral itself is quite hardy, and is great even for beginners. In one specific case it was the sole SPS to survive a local member's tank crash. It seems to thrive in a wide variety of parameters, and everything from ULNS to "dirty" waters with higher nitrate and phosphate.

Boom-3412.jpg

Boom-3414.jpg

That's all I have for you on "Cliff's Acropora"!

Last edited:

MadCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boom Corals pretty much hit it on the head. Hi I'm Cliff and I want to thank Boom Corals for the cool write up. Although I wish I could take all the credit I technically obtained a very small frag from my buddy Tex many years ago who found a small bleached out fragment on the bottom of a tank from a LFS Living Art Aquarium here in Madison WI My original colony of "cliffs acro" is pictured in the middle. When people first started seeing this beautiful acropora in my tank they asked what species of acro it was. None of us in the local reefing community or other larger reefing forums could put are finger on it. The closest thing to in in my opinion is acropora microclados. Its extremly hardy and a fast grower which I consider it a perfect "beginner" acropora. I've seen in grow in different patterns depending on the location and the flow of the tank. Also the more intense the light source is the more purple it gets.

IMAG4786.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boom Corals pretty much hit it on the head. Hi I'm Cliff and I want to thank Boom Corals for the cool write up. Although I wish I could take all the credit I technically obtained a very small frag from my buddy Tex many years ago who found a small bleached out fragment on the bottom of a tank from a LFS Living Art Aquarium here in Madison WI My original colony of "cliffs acro" is pictured in the middle. When people first started seeing this beautiful acropora in my tank they asked what species of acro it was. None of us in the local reefing community or other larger reefing forums could put are finger on it. The closest thing to in in my opinion is acropora microclados. Its extremly hardy and a fast grower which I consider it a perfect "beginner" acropora. I've seen in grow in different patterns depending on the location and the flow of the tank. Also the more intense the light source is the more purple it gets.

IMAG4786.jpg
Thanks Cliff! And nice to meet you. :)

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I think I have just the right spot for a frag of cliff's acro in my new 90g shallow. It's time for cliff to visit the West coast!
It branches out and up so depending how you trim it you can fit it most anywhere.

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who has cliffs acro out there?! I have sent out quite a few frags and curious how they're growing for everyone. Lets see some pictures!

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Cliff's from Matt at BoomCorals last year. My frag has encrusted past the plug sides and is beginning to spread unto the rockery. This coral is extremely variable, even unpredictable, in its coloration. I find that it turns a darker purple in stronger light, otherwise the body is a light green and the polyps are purplish. But the interesting thing is that this coral seems to change in its coloration and intensity of color very significantly depending on other tank parameters. Yesterday I saw the first hint of blue to the body. This is NOT microclados, at least not the Upscales Microclados which fuses its branches as it tables, or anything resembling my UC Strawberry Shortcake, another microclados or so I am told. Cliff's is MORE INTERESTING than either of these microclados. It keeps you guessing as to how it is going to look. This coral is the best thing that's come out of Wisconsin since string cheese. Cliff's deserves a wider circulation in the hobby. Thanks for featuring it on R2R, Quinn!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the cliffs I got from you. It has encrusted out and now shooting upwards. It changes colors a lot based on my nutrients. Right now it is a light green with blue and purple polyps. Nighttime pic too.

IMG_20190319_043853.jpg
IMG_20190325_020620.jpg

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the cliffs I got from you. It has encrusted out and now shooting upwards. It changes colors a lot based on my nutrients. Right now it is a light green with blue and purple polyps. Nighttime pic too.

IMG_20190319_043853.jpg
IMG_20190325_020620.jpg

Looks healthy but hungry. I have some sodium nitrate when you’re ready. [emoji12]

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back