Sps still bleaching

Chaz D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of the chemipure and feed your tank. Keep it simple...skimmer and small weekly water changes. Bleached corals take a while to recover.

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of the chemipure and feed your tank. Keep it simple...skimmer and small weekly water changes. Bleached corals take a while to recover.
Isn't carbon good for the tank? Im about to do a big water change this week, to see if things get better. A lost two more sps's this week. Parameters are good... I took the water to 3 different lfs... Nothing wrong with the water. No pests either. It could be something that I cant test for. Im gonna try fixing with bigger water change weekly.

Chaz D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have found carbon to cause bleaching, most likely in nutrient deficient tanks. The chemipure is more potent than regular carbon from what I understand as it has added proprietary "resins". I'm not making a blanket statement that carbon is bad, but in your case I think it's a variable worth eliminating. Do a search and you'll find many threads linking carbon to bleaching in sps.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having the same problem a couple weeks ago. Couldn't find any problems in the DT or sump which led me to my top off water. Long story short, the power head that was in the top off water failed and left my revisor stagnant, which created unwanted bacteria and mold[emoji53]. I did two 40g water changes and things look to be getting normal once again. I find it best to do a large water change when something isn't clicking and everything checks out fine param wise.

Good luck and happy reefing

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have found carbon to cause bleaching, most likely in nutrient deficient tanks. The chemipure is more potent than regular carbon from what I understand as it has added proprietary "resins". I'm not making a blanket statement that carbon is bad, but in your case I think it's a variable worth eliminating. Do a search and you'll find many threads linking carbon to bleaching in sps.
I will check on that! Thank you.

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having the same problem a couple weeks ago. Couldn't find any problems in the DT or sump which led me to my top off water. Long story short, the power head that was in the top off water failed and left my revisor stagnant, which created unwanted bacteria and mold[emoji53]. I did two 40g water changes and things look to be getting normal once again. I find it best to do a large water change when something isn't clicking and everything checks out fine param wise.

Good luck and happy reefing
Today im doing a big water change. Hope it will get better

NoStRaThOmAs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 on ditching the carbon. Carbon gets rid of the good and the bad. I installed a dual reactor and was running carbon/GFO combo and stripped my water too clean. I have since ditched the carbon and put the GFO back online at half the recommended dosage(I am running BRS high capacity GFO) and everything went back to normal. Get your Mag level up too!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on ditching the carbon. Carbon gets rid of the good and the bad. I installed a dual reactor and was running carbon/GFO combo and stripped my water too clean. I have since ditched the carbon and put the GFO back online at half the recommended dosage(I am running BRS high capacity GFO) and everything went back to normal. Get your Mag level up too!

What do you think it stripped out?

The only problem I know of (with respect to corals) from too much carbon too fast is suddenly making the water clearer to light and UV, which may damage the corals if they do not adapt fast enough.

NoStRaThOmAs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think it stripped out?

The only problem I know of (with respect to corals) from too much carbon too fast is suddenly making the water clearer to light and UV, which may damage the corals if they do not adapt fast enough.

Randy I was having high phosphates.30 measured with Hannah. I installed the dual reactor running both High capacity GFO and rox.8 carbon with recommended dosages on both. The next day phosphate tested at .00. Water clarity was phenomenal but 2 weeks later I started noticing tissue recession in Acans and chalices. Took both offline and later just put GFO back online using half the recommended dose and everything went back to normal. So your theory maybe correct. I believe I stripped the water to clean!

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo paling corals can be a number of things.

if nitrate is above 1ppm and po4 is above .02, it isnt nutrients.

calcium doesnt bleach corals but alk swings can.

i really doubt your sps are getting too much light.

another option is you have aefw or red bug infestation.

hth

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo paling corals can be a number of things.

if nitrate is above 1ppm and po4 is above .02, it isnt nutrients.

calcium doesnt bleach corals but alk swings can.

i really doubt your sps are getting too much light.

another option is you have aefw or red bug infestation.

hth
All sps's are bleaching from the tip. If was red bugs I think it would kill it but not from the tip down like its happening. I checked very close and I dont see any bugs.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think red bug bother sps. They bother us more.
When sps are bleached from the top usually either lightning if not then alk swing
Could you post some close photo to see.

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one started to bleach last week. All the other sps's looks pale.
image.jpg

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think red bug bother sps. They bother us more.
When sps are bleached from the top usually either lightning if not then alk swing
Could you post some close photo to see.
Alk its at 9
CA stuck at 500
Mag 1200
All tested with elos test kits.
Now when I test with red sea
Alk 10
CA 450
Mag 1440

Isn't this called burnt tips from high alk with low nutrients?
Nitrates at 5
Phosphates at .01

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk its at 9
CA stuck at 500
Mag 1200
All tested with elos test kits.
Now when I test with red sea
Alk 10
CA 450
Mag 1440

Nitrates at 5
Phosphates at .01

alk is a bit high imo. let it drop to 7.8 and see if you see any difference.

if the red sea alk kit isnt pro, they usually are +1 dkh ime. so subtract 1 and you will have actual.

let po4 naturally rise to .02-.04

i notice bad things when my alk hits 8+. my birdsnest will especially recede to nothingness, tips will burn off, etc.

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alk is a bit high imo. let it drop to 7.8 and see if you see any difference.

if the red sea alk kit isnt pro, they usually are +1 dkh ime. so subtract 1 and you will have actual.

let po4 naturally rise to .02-.04

i notice bad things when my alk hits 8+. my birdsnest will especially recede to nothingness, tips will burn off, etc.
Red sea pro test kit.
Im trying to lower CA and ALK.
Im afraid to raise MAG. Not sure if im at 1200 or 1440 lol...

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea pro test kit.
Im trying to lower CA and ALK.
Im afraid to raise MAG. Not sure if im at 1200 or 1440 lol...
thats the most accurate alk kit i know of.

ca will precipitate on it's own. alk will also drop naturally.

id leave mag alone for now

gfo needs to be offline minimum 3 days. then test.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got plenty of input here and from the LFS I'm sure but you might consider the various coral species you have. Just a thought and I know there are countless mixed reefers with great success...but it's possible that there are some that don't play nice in the sandbox. I wouldn't go crazy on parameters etc. good water changes and deep breaths.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back